Engine question-- 1982 Evinrude 35 vs 1989 Johnson

remarksf

Cadet
I really liked all of the above!!! It's nice to see the old hands give their opinion on various outboards...need more of that here! That guy who is always on a Minnesota lake with someone named pepper (on Utube) always tries out old small outboards, but never gives an opinion on any of them.

Yes, for me (the OP) this has been a very nice welcome to the community, and thank you all for the constructive and really helpful views (on some forums new dumb questions get flamed!!).

I will see both boats this weekend in person, and do my best to make the right call. Neither package is perfect, it will be difficult to weigh the boats or take the time to get the boats checked before I commit, unfortunately. I think the older 35hp one I will be able to take a test drive on, and a personal relationship with the person who is passionate about whalers and trustworthy may give the nod to that boat (so I feel pretty good the boat is as advertised)-- although he has very little information about the engine history (he bought it from a marina, it had a single female owner who didn't use it much and docked it at the marina) . The other (25hp) is on a trailer and doesn't seem like he can easily put in the water (understandable given our locations etc) so while he can start it I can't get a test run easily, even though that engine is newer and a better fit for me.

Overall, these are package deals-- boat, motor, trailer for 3.5k or so, and these boat/ trailer is around 2.5k+ without engines, so my downside risk on motor is not a huge one, but I prefer not to buy something that is an immediate problem. I had originally thought of buying the boat without motor and buying a new one so that I had a really low breakdown risk, but I need a light motor and the newer ones are heavier, plus these two come as packages and are the boats I want.

I think I go with what #flyingscott says then, which is that there "is no less than ideal motor and buy the best package". I think seeing them in person and test driving one of them may easily make the decision for me.

Hope you all are finally getting some warm weather!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Apologies for any confusion; not trying to deceive but was trying to phrase the question in a way that would help me understand the differences in the motors, which was my goal at the onset. Since then, thanks to you all, I gotten additional advice that is really helpful. Definitely need to test drive each, something that I didn't know how crucial it was.

I certainly was not suggesting any deception....just some confusion. :)
(But I have seen many posts that were far more confusing....and an occasional seemingly deliberately deceptive one.... :) )

Good luck with the selection process.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Check the bottom for gelcoat blisters....that can be an external indicator of water permeability and possible waterlogging. Google gelcoat blisters for more info.

remarksf

Cadet
So thanks again to all.... I have zero-ed in on the one I am getting and I have an agreement that I will buy it pending the test drive. Current owner is very straightforward and experienced, boat is in very good shape, no blisters or issues, and the engine seems great, pending the test. I have read/studied the very helpful "sticky" what to look for when buying a boat, which is a great resource on this site.
I am very very inexperienced in this, I have some neighbors who have offered to help me get up to speed, but is anyone aware of any resources on this site or others that would help me get started? Simple things like post-saltwater rinsing the motor, winterizing, engine basics, the kind of thing your Dad teaches you but my Dad didn't! (Boat is 1982 Whaler sport 13', with the 35 HP). I am ordering a few "Boating 101" books, but any particular book advice or resource advice would be great, as well as if anyone had their "Top Tip" for someone like me! See you on the water! Thanks