2001 johnson 50 hp runaway idle

yukon 2

Recruit
When raising fast idle lever engine starts but idles at high rpm after lever is pushed down to seated position. Any ideas? Thanks

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
what happens engine side when you move the fast idle lever do all linkages move accordingly ?

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fwiw, mine (J50PLSSM) would do the same thing, got a bit worse over time. Also my timing was off 5+ degrees during my last monthly check-up, I noticed that the roller on my linkage was REALLY worn out.....was not pushing the linkage back when I throttled down, or for that matter never got WOT.

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You may need to adjust the throttle cable at the engine.

What’s the best way to adjust the throttle cable? I have a 1989 Baja islander 190 mercruiser 3.0. I noticed while I was doing some things under the hood I would put it in throttle only and rev it up. Put it back in neautral but would still rev at a higher rpm. Not to bad but higher. I would have to manually go to the carb and push on the cable and push it back down. I don’t know if the carb is sticking or If the cable is sticking and not wanting to go all the way back to where it should be. Thank you