MallRat

Seaman Apprentice
Update

Installed new CDI stator.
Installed new CDI voltage regulator.
Torqued flywheel to 103ft lbs.
Cleaned ground contacts on block.
Dielectric grease on connections.
Dial indicator to set TDC on timer pointer.
Carb butterflies synced.
Cam follower pickup adjustment.
Joe Reeves WOT procedure set to 24°
Cam follower pickup timing set to 4°
WOT butterflies horizontal adjustment.

All I have left to do is setting the idle speed. So have to take to lake. Have to work tonight and family reunion next week so don't know when that will be.

Is there anything I missed?

MallRat

Seaman Apprentice
Was finally able to get time to go to lake and test.

I now have a hole shot. Runs smooth, Getting up on plane is not a problem any longer. I can push boat up on trailer with no problem. Took about 2 tries adjusting idle screw to get engine to idle in gear.

With me and my wife was able to hit about 47mph.
The factory rpm gauge was showing 4000 rpm and 43mph couldn't trim engine any more.
Had to ease back on throttle and trim a little then full throttle again. That is when rpm raised to 4500 and 47mph.
Think the tilt/trim pump may be weak or something. That will be resolved/looked into at a later date.

Just wished I had known that the engine used current generated from the stator and voltage regulator to generate the spark used to start engine. Then use the current from battery to keep engine running. That is the only reason I can see to explain the reason to have spark on cylinder 1 & 3 with the engine running and no spark while cranking. The reason I had spark while cranking with 2 batteries I can only guess is the cranking amps to spare some amps to create the spark. but either way the issue seems to be resolved now thanks to the help received on this forum.

Thanks all.

Now anybody want to help me resolve a new-to-me 06 Yamaha Kodiak 450 that is having charging issues LOL.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No 12 volts from the battery is not used to generate the spark !!----The motor can be started with a totally dead battery.----The spark is produced by the spinning flywheel and ignition charge coils in the stator.--The stator also has coils to charge the battery via the voltage regulator.---And current from the battery is NOT used to keep the engine running once started !!----And that flywheel must turn rapidly to produce that spark.----That is why the battery / starter / battery cables must be in good condition !!!----Hope this helps you understand a little better.