J25TEETS - Remote controls

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
All,

I ordered control cables (finally) for my motor - 25hp, 1993, J25TEETS. I have had the remote control box for a couple years and just jerry rigged the controls for throttle and shift with push rods instead.

I am looking at how to get the cables hooked up. If I am thinking correctly - these mount inside the engine cover. The tiller throttle cable looks like it has the same attachment as the long ones I ordered, so I don't think that will be much of an issue - cable bolts on the case and goes on the throttle arm with a cotter pin.

The shifter is my real question. I found a reference for a 1990 model 25hp that has the external shift lever on the side of the case. My motor does not have that external shifter. In the tiller configuration the lever is on the top of the tiller handle with a rod that goes back inside the case to the shift mechanism on the starboard side. The end of that rod looks like it has the same attachment point as the throttle does = same as the end of the cables I ordered.

Are the cable channels inside the cover - like where the tiller throttle cable lays - ones I can use for the remote cables also? Or do I need to run the cables outside of the motor using the anchor brackets that I see on the older style motor? In that case I would need to convert my motor to the external shift lever as well? I'd rather not do all that if I don't have to...

Thanks in advance.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I believe the remote kit converted to a side lever, then more or less the hookup similar to older motors. You might want to check with a dealer.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got to working on the motor this weekend.

I found the side-mount shift lever on Ebay for $20 or so. Looking at the rest of the parts it looks like that would have been the most complex part to make so I got it, and it wasn't too pricy.

I fit the parts and it looks like all I need to do is make the mounting brackets for the side of the lower unit. The throttle cable hooks on the stub that I have been using already so that is pretty much the same. I have plenty of metal to fabricate the parts.

The mounting bracket for the shift cable looks like it will be the hardest. I may have to drill and tap the cable part for the locking screw. I will see what I have to make that... I don't think it will be very hard, just time consuming. That is better than paying $90 for the actual part...

One thing that I found that I wasn't expecting is that the control box mounting holes for the cables are bigger than the holes in the cable ends. So I am not sure how to go about that one yet. There aren't any spacers/washers with the control box I got. It isn't a huge deal, I'm sure I can make what I need somehow. It might take some grinding and sizing up washers to fit the holes but I can come up with something...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a mismatch of cables / control box.-----Older control box and you have newer " snap in " cables.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Did you get the pins that hold the cables into the box. They are shoulder pins.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is a picture of the type of cables I have.

The blue arrow is the anchor for the cable end. These fit the holes in the control box.

The green arrow is the end that I have an issue with. That hole is smaller than the holes in the control levers. I suppose I could use a bolt and some small slivers of plastic or vynil tubing even, if I have some the right size.

Attachments

• photo312920.jpg
    photo312920.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I believe you have an older control box. and newer called " snap in " cables.---So the wrong cables.-------Post a picture of your control box to confirm !

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here are a couple pictures of the cable and the control box..

If the cables are the wrong ones I can make them work. The motor ends match up to the shifter and the nub on the throttle arm and I am going to fabricate the brackets that hold the cables in place anyway.

So it looks like I just need to match up the pin size to the control box hole sizes and I should be in business.

Attachments

• photo312943.jpg
    photo312943.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo312944.jpg
    photo312944.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo312945.jpg
    photo312945.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 0

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are there any other thoughts on how "incorrect" the cables are? It doesn't look like it would be hard to make them work. Am I overlooking something important about their function, or the older ones in how those function?

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
For what it is worth, I got the cables installed in the control box today. I used a 6mm countersunk bolt and nylon bushings to make the "pins". The nylon bushings needed drilled out. I used a 7/32" bit clamped in a vice and the nylon bushings in a 3 jaw 1/2" chuck drill. It worked.

I will be working on the motor side of the cable connection tomorrow.

Attachments

• photo315291.jpg
    photo315291.jpg
    995.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo315292.jpg
    photo315292.jpg
    780.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo315293.jpg
    photo315293.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo315294.jpg
    photo315294.jpg
    939.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo315295.jpg
    photo315295.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 0

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took a break from the motor work for a while and replaced the power steering gear box on my 1 ton truck. Between that "project" and a few other things I've been slow to get back to the motor.

I got the anchor block nailed down for the shift cable. Not bad. 3/4" plate steel, some fancy cutting with cut off wheels, grinding, and drilling. The control cable snaps in to place just perfect.

I have the throttle cable on a piece of angle iron on the other side of the motor. I need to adjust the fit some. I am not sure if that will happen tomorrow, but I may try. I have a few other projects going on so lots to do. As long as I am doing something I am making progress though - it all has to get done.

Attachments

• photo316149.jpg
    photo316149.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316150.jpg
    photo316150.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 0