Evinrude 120 No Spark Issue

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys
Been of the forum for a year or so but now need help.
I have an evinrude 120 looper.
She ran great on the muffs
I then removed the VRO as i was going to run premix.
Now after i did this and drove 75miles to the lake.

Now she wont start. I have checked all coils for a spark but nothing.

What i have done so far
Replaced the battery. Was done before i had the issue.
Connected all the VRO wires and hose back up.

Removed the boat side of wiring so i know its not that.
Jumped the starter with the red plug removed Still no spark. So i know it is engine side of wiring.

I removed the one black and yellow wire from under the flywheel to the cdi ( is it the wire from the stator ??? ) Still no spark.
This is an intermittent fault she she fired up for a bout 30 seconds on one try to get her going but died afterwords and wont even give a sign she wants to start again.

Its has the CD3 Ignition system

She has 125psi on all 4.

When she was on the muffs and before i removed the VRO she ran and started first turn of the key.

Am i missing something stupid ???

I know what i am looking for on a Johnson Crossflow but loopers and CD3 is all new to me.

This is driving me crazy Help guys please.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
VRO wires and VRO have nothing to do with spark----What do you mean by CD3 ignition on the V-4 ??

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Racer
On the back of the motor is what looks like a cdi power pack. It has CD3 written on it. Theres wires coming from under the fly wheel and connecting to the power pack. I thought i may have dislodge a wire when i was removing the VRO there is a block connector at the back of the Trim/Tilt relay box which i had to separate i dont know if i may have doing something then.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry Racer the badge/sticker has been pulled off/ worn away. Cant find any thing like the crossflows have like a plug with the serial on it.

Attachments

• photo310690.jpg
    photo310690.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • photo310691.jpg
    photo310691.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Is there away in which i can eliminate the kill circuit ?
Just so i can rule that out of the equation ?

I feel its a lose wire somewhere, the motor started fine and run on the muffs for 10 mins or so.

Then after the bumpy 70 mile drive she would not start at all.

I had to get towed to my mooring ( only because if you done have a boat on your mooring you lose the spot. I would rather have had her on the hard to do this work but i cant)

I am at my limit of knowledge regarding these looper engines.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As far as the ignition system is concerned it works exactly the same way as a crossflow.-----Only the pieces look a little different.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
So if i disconnect the blk/yei from the connection board (the strip with the all connections in it) The motor should run ??
I understand that if it does run, i will have to cut the air or flood it with the choke to stop it.
If it still does not run this way I may be looking at a new cdi unit ?

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
How would you do this fault finding Racer ?
Am i correct in thinking the above ? Should i try a different approach ?
Its the only way i can think of to try and find this fault. You have forgotten more than i will ever know about OMC engines i apericate you taking the time to give me a help out over here in Scotland

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Invest in a multimeter and do some checking.-------Parts under the flywheel can be checked without removing the flywheel.------I often recommend to inspect starter motor / clean / replace brushes on these motors.----Usually that gets a negative response from folks who do not know how these systems work.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
I have a meter and will get the settings from the net somewhere. Starter motor was new last summer, polished battery connections when i put the new battery in. I realize that if she is not spinning the flywheel fast enough there aint gonna be a spark.
Thing i may need to build is a DVA to use with my meter.

I have a factory manual on the 1980 Crossflow so will work using that procedure and then hopefully sort the problem out once and for all. I hope its just a kill wire earthing out. Now that would be good news.
I had to get most of the stuff i needed when building my 140 crossflow. (Still not started her for the first yet ) shipped in from the US

Will post my findings on here if i get her fixed