1986 Johnson 25 J25RDCno spark

Huntersden

Recruit
My outboard was not firing so being an older engine,I replaced CD2, charge coil, trigger sensor,and both ignition coils. Still no fire. All resistance readings are to spec and even tried unhooking the infamous yellow/black kill wire to power pack. I'm stumped. Please can someone help?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And how are you checking for spark ??-----Is this electric start ?-----If so have you checked battery and starter motor ?-----Many of the parts you replaced are very good spares so don't throw them out !!!

Huntersden

Recruit
I will definitely try reversing the plug wires. I just added a starter, it had no fire before I added it to the motor. It is all working to spec.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Careful if you go reversing stuff to put it back again.
How long have you had this motor? Has it worked before?
Check your flywheel magnets and also check for shorts in the wiring to ground

Huntersden

Recruit
I have had the motor for 2 months and had it out once. It ran fine then then the following week I took it out and there was no spark. I checked for shorts and didn't find any. How do I check the flywheel magnets?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Flywheel magnets just do not go bad these days.----.Check all wiring including pins / sockets in the rubber plugs.-----Did you install all these parts as factory new ---Aftermarket or something else ?

Huntersden

Recruit
All parts were new aftermarket. I'll double check pins and sockets. Thanks everyone for your help and input.

heypawpaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Check ground at power pack, also check all wire connections are clean at terminal block # 4 on parts diagram.