Water Leak 120 Johnson 1989 v4

waleedhaque

Recruit
Hello All,

Just got my first boat trying to get it lake ready - I don't know much about outboards so learning as I go along.

I noticed recently that there is bit of water coming from behind the throttle plate. Any idea what's causing it and how i can fix it?

picture below shows the place water is coming from - and video of it running https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Avq...-SYy1Ag4EV435k

water_leak_b7b871c32cf99ebce530ccaff2fa215e7bb07a68.jpg

Regards
W

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Water control valve for the cooling system.------Seal is leaking.------Seal may not be available anymore.------Many of those were taken off per a service bulletin.-----See a dealer for support.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Don't remember any SB for removing these but you can convert to a modified cooling by installing t-stat/spring/cover from a late 80's early 90's 3 cylinder looper.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Have a closer look behind the throttle arm, you may find just a worn hose but i expect the opinions above will be correct.
You can find that part second hand too online.

Also i really wouldnt rev your motor like that, with no load on it they can go bang from the bearings failing. In the water it has back pressure on the exhaust so its not as dangerous, but still is. I never rev mine at all apart to warm it up and only a little bit then too. People reving motors up when down at the dock are also the people whose cars you see blowing oil out the exhaust.

Reving out of the water on muffs can mean that it overheats quickly and then it does whats called a runaway. The engine gets so hot that the fuel in the cylinders ignites even with the key turned off and it will speed up until it blows up. The only way to stop it is to shove towels in the carbs or pull the fuel line, but a lot of people run for cover then as its seemingly like a big piece of machine about to turn to shrapnel by then.
Thats one of the main and biggest first lessons for you!
Also check the gear oil in the lower case (top flat screw). Never touch the Philips one unless you want to take the gearbox apart.
The impeller should also be changed if you arent 100% sure of its history.
Also look at premixing your fuel (read up about that and the VRO).
And thats all the main lessons down really apart from learning the road code of the sea. Not many people know it here in NZ as no licence is needed

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??-----The philips screw on this gearcase can be taken out and put back in all day long and nothing bad will happen,

Bosunsmate

Admiral
??-----The philips screw on this gearcase can be taken out and put back in all day long and nothing bad will happen,

oh well there you have it, id imagine if you moved gear shift lever with it out you'd be in trouble

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No, no--- not at all there is no shifter pivot pin visible from the outside of this gearcase !!!!---That pivot pin is on the front bearing housing and is not even threaded.-----All installed with the propshaft. ---The Philips screw that is visible is to make sure the pinion bearing does not move from oil pressure in the bearing.-----You can take that screw out all day long and re-install it with no chance of anything going wrong !!---Bosun----Have you rebuilt any of these V-4 gearcases ?--Not all outboards are the same !

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
No, no--- not at all there is no shifter pivot pin visible from the outside of this gearcase !!!!---That pivot pin is on the front bearing housing and is not even threaded.-----All installed with the propshaft. ---The Philips screw that is visible is to make sure the pinion bearing does not move from oil pressure in the bearing.-----You can take that screw out all day long and re-install it with no chance of anything going wrong !!---Bosun----Have you rebuilt any of these V-4 gearcases ?--Not all outboards are the same !

Not this one or any with the exact genes