150GT trim issue

ldurmon

Cadet
I got an old Ragin Cajun with an 85 GT150 on it. I have been working on this motor for a almost a year. I made great headway with it but right after I got it it turned turtle when my area was flooded by Harvey. I left it on the trailer with the plug out. It was heart breaking. I was set back but not defeated. I went through the carbs a couple of times before and after it turtled. My cowling was bashed in when I found it upside down resting on the cowl. it has been a journey trying to resurrect the electrical system with that old style fuse block. Last time I took it out it would not plane for a while until I pulled the cowl and tinkered with it at the dock. It ran good at WOT but not at any other speed. After I got it home I noticed the timing advance not hitting the stop. I pulled the flywheel and found all of the magnets not epoxied in place and one was broken. I cleaned and epoxied them back in. Cleaned the gunk from the stator to free up the timing advance. When I took it out today after that it ran like a dream but when running WOT every time I hit the trim it would drop out. As soon as I let off of the trim it would pick back up. Scratchin' my head on this one. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Sounds like a dead short in the trim motor stealing all the amps???

remove motor from TNT pump and check for a bunch of rust maybe...most everything else is fuse protected.

ldurmon

Cadet
On this motor that appears next to impossible without removing the motor from the boat. I may just try the two screws on the top of the motor to check the brushes. That is what I was thinking but it only affects the motor at WOT. Right now I am sorting the wiring on the boat. I may find something there maybe in the old switch on the throttle lever. I would appreciate any tips on removing the trim motor without pulling the beast of an outboard off if it is even possible.

dwco5051

Commander
I wonder if there may be a problem with the wiring in your throttle control box. Perhaps a short between the shift interrupter switch and trim control. I have an older GT-175 and just had my trim motor off last summer. I just disconnected the trim actuators and lifted the motor with a come along from a rafter. Lots of room then. Was easier than I expected.