1976 Evinrude 200 hp power pack

GTaylor69

Recruit
I just bout a new OEM power pack for a 1976 Johnson Evinrude 200 hp engine and a new rectifier. I installed both parts and the engine was running great. Today I started it back up and the brand new power pack failed. It has a black gel like substance oozing from it. What could be the cause of the failure?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Without actually being there, my first guess would be to have that happen to a brand new pack... there would be a wiring problem and the pack is being fed battery voltage!

GTaylor69

Recruit
Failed power pack

I just bout a new OEM power pack for a 1976 Johnson Evinrude 200 hp engine and a new rectifier. I installed both parts and the engine was running great. Today I started it back up and the brand new power pack failed. It has a black gel like substance oozing from it. What could be the cause of the failure?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I see you enter a 2nd post... same identical problem.

Did you do the voltage check?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I see you enter a 2nd post... same identical problem.

Did you do the voltage check?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I guess some folks are looking for the answer that makes sense to them.----Or the answer that they want to hear.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I guess some folks are looking for the answer that makes sense to them.----Or the answer that they want to hear.

Probably more a case that, since it's his 1st & 2nd post ever... and the crew has been doing maintenance on the site that confusion can surface. More likely that he just wanted to get the post back on top of the list. If so... (getting back to the top), just enter... Bump ^.... on whatever you want repeated and post it. That'll do it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
All merged.

We're used to the double or more postings. Part of starting a new thread is confusing when you aren't shown the new thread and are left in the Create a New Topic page causing you to think the thread wsn't started. So another is begun and the post times are a minute or two aprt.

But this one is 2 days - I think he didn't find his original thread.

Welcome aboard. You'll get the hang of it. :smile:

The potting (black goo) oozing out of it is a sign of heat. Is the motor overheating?