79 Evinrude 85hp TNT optional?

ScoobaSteve

Cadet
I purchased a 79 Steury with an 85 HP Evinrude, trailer and all for $100. Boat is in awesome shape. Trailer needs tires but is also in awesome shape. Motor is clean. Was used within the last 2 years. When I bought it, the PO explained that something had gone wrong with the remote(throttle assembly) and his buddy was in the process of swapping with a different remote. Now, aside from his "buddy" splicing in a different remote, he was using what seems like a different model of remote. I have one that has TNT and one that doesnt. Both seem to shift fine once reassembled with their respective parts.(spent alot of time looking at breakdowns). After this long winded post my question is....Which remote should I be using, the one with TNT or the one without??????

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

It only matters if the motor has TnT. Either will work if the motor is TnT-less.

ScoobaSteve

Cadet
Ok. I didnt see a pump or anything that would indicate it has TnT. I was a bit concerned because all the parts break downs of the remote show it has it. I cant even find a break down for one of the remotes. I tried uploading photos, keeps telling me the file is too large. Thanks for the reply.

ScoobaSteve

Cadet
The model # of the motor tells you if it came with trim / tilt !!

Ive looked up parts for the motor and the parts break down shows parts for TnT, but its physically not on the boat. It was never there. Thats where Im slightly confused. 85999 is the model number. Theres only 7or 8 wires coming from the motor(no TnT wires anywhere).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Steve - A motor without TnT can be operated by a remote with a TnT switch. The switch just doesn't do anything because there is no hardware on the motor.

A remote with the switch does not mean the motor has to have TnT.

ScoobaSteve

Cadet
Steve - A motor without TnT can be operated by a remote with a TnT switch. The switch just doesn't do anything because there is no hardware on the motor.

A remote with the switch does not mean the motor has to have TnT.

So I can use either remote then...Perfect. Thanks a bunch folks!!!