Soaking Yachtwin Carb in Carb cleaner for 24 hours?

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to clean my carb this weekend, I have a gallon pail of NAPA (non chlorinated) carb cleaner. I am wondering if any metal damage could occur from soaking overnight? The can says 20 minutes but I know that wont cut it. I have new o rings and gaskets so I'm not worried about that. I'm just concerned that 24 hours could cause damage. (I would disassemble down to parts)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Don't know what the NAPA stuff contains, but long soaking probably won't hurt metal parts. Not sure why it's thought to be necessary. I usually find an hour or two is enough (lacquer thinner), then manually cleaning parts. Need to be sure every orifice is open and clear.

harringtondav

Commander
Long soaks in the older, illegal, stuff never damaged the metal in any parts that I cleaned. But some cleaners will deteriorate phenolic and other plastic parts, like valve plate bushings, etc. Keep an eye on these if you have any.

I follow the cleaner soak with a dip in very hot - 140 deg or whatever you water heater can deliver - water and TSP. Then I air blow while it's still hot. Finally follow with an aerosol carb cleaner with the straw purging all passages.

thatone123

Banned
a $100 dollar or less hydro vibration type cleaned works wonders sometimes if you do a few carbs now and then. Most have heaters on them.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
if you don't have a compressor to blow the passages …. keyboard air duster cans from Dollar store work pretty good

just $ 3 - $ 4

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update, tore the carb apart and put a wire through the offices and passages. There was a lot of junk in some of the passages and the jet but I ran a wire through to clean it. There was also a lot of junk in the fixed high speed orifice but I got a lot out and the carb cleaner will help. I have a cheapo electric air compressor which will probably work ok. I’m not paying $20+ for the special OMC screwdriver so I think I can clean it ok with carb cleaner and compressed air. I think this is the reason I could not get the motor to idle last fall. Unfortunately, my propeller now has a big chip that I don’t know where it came from(I haven’t even put it in the water yet). I am sure spending a lot of money on this darn motor...

i am soaking the carb overnight and will check on it tomorrow afternoon

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is in the 40s during the day where I am at, and the temps drop below freezing at night so I think the solevent needs extra time to work