1980 evenrude 25 won’t start

snowlife23$

Recruit
So after installing new reeds and cleaning carb the motor ran good. It was running like it had a miss but it still ran. So I went back to dock went to truck went back to boat started the motor and forward trolling and my motor shuts of like the kill switch did it. Sounded just like that just boom off. Then I said well that’s weird. I’ve ran my fuel so I know how that sounds. But this was just off. I was trolling out the no wake zone. But now it won’t fire up. It sounds like the kill switch is stuck on I just put new power pack last year.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Kind of makes one wonder why the power pack was replaced, and that other work was done, doesn't it? I'm going to make a guess. One or more of the wires leading out from under the flywheel is broken internally where they flex back and forth every time you move the throttle. Sometimes the broken ends touch and it runs, sometimes they don't touch and you sit dead in the water. So you assume "gotta be the power pack" or "gotta be the gas".

snowlife23$

Recruit
I replaced the power pack because it was cracked and it went bad. As soon as I replace it the motor worked and the reeds bro one was broken. But get this. The thing on top some screws came off and it was loose for a while and before that it actually got the screw and it got caouught with the flywheel so when I went to start the thing with wire was turning and climbed damaged it. I looked at it and fixed the screws I’ll see if it’s damaged.