Carb cleaning as to %

thatone123

Banned
In your opinion, what is the major cause of dirty carbs by %. IS it just dirty jets most of the time or other passages clogged?
I would say 70% jets and 30% passages, but what do I know. This is mostly for OMC because they are what I clean the most, but of course includes outboards in general.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
the smallest openning being jets….. probably >75% the rest is clogging with dried gas and disintegrating rubber components and cork float failure

I do not think anyone worries about %

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I say most carb problems are not carb problems, but something else. As for the carb problems that actually are carb problems, most of the crud or rotten gas lies in the bottom (where the main jet is located).

thatone123

Banned
This percent question is important in that if the problems are mostly jets, then I will not bother cleaning the rest of the carb.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
that is up to you but a few shots of carb cleaner and air pressure doesn't take up to much time and is a good investment

beats rowing back to shore ...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There are Air Bleeds and other passages that get gummed up too. However it is your carb, so do as much or as little as you want.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
This percent question is important in that if the problems are mostly jets, then I will not bother cleaning the rest of the carb.

I guess it depends whether you are OK with with a half done job.
You probably are trying to avoid R&R on the carb and just remove the jet for cleaning with the carb still in place; that does not take long, and you can still R&R the carb to do it properly. Maybe worth a try

But there is no way you will ever get an accurate answer to your question because very few people, after accurately diagnosing carb trouble, would do anything other than a proper removal, tear-down, and cleaning. After that you really could not be sure what was the exact source of the problem....you just clean it all thoroughly and drive on.
Removing the carb, IMO, is the major part of the battle; it is all easy after that.
Skimping at that point is a mug's game.

thatone123

Banned
I agree with your assessment but maybe am tired of cleaning them and see on Net that quite a few just seem to clean the jet/jets. Yes, I will continue to do the total job.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How often do you have to clean the jet and/or carb?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like your "filter" is not doing it's job. Maybe go to a finer mesh filter to trap the the material that is plugging the jets, both gas and even air... JMHO

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Run mixed fuel out of the carburetors for storage.----That keeps carburetors clean !!!