1968 Evinrude 18 hp -- ready to buy, should I?

zul

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got a 14tf tinny all stripped down with a new transom to cut and install. It's hard to find a 15-20 hp outboard around here in Arizona. The only one on craigslist is a 68' Evinrude 18 hp. Owner says it's reliable, starts and runs great (ahyah, OK?). I asked him if he'd done a compression test and says he doesn't know how to do it ... hmm? Asking price is $500.

Next weekend, I plan to drive to Phoenix/Mesa to have a look and do a comp test of my own.

Any guess on the motor weight? I will likely need two people to mount it, each time at the lake (no trailer).

What should I consider a 'good $500 compression test' vs 'not too bad $450 compression test' vs 'Not interested in the motor' compression test? I've researched the numbers and got all sorta different ideas .... ??

I am real excited to get this old tin boat going again (hopefully by May). Should I get excited about this motor or be patient and find something newer? Seems like 'yall know yer Evinrudes on this forum (I grew up with a 75 Johnson) and appreciate the advice.

Thanks!

kbait

Commander
Weight is about 80lbs. Comp of 90psi or above should be good. Hear it run before you buy. Make sure it shifts and pumps water normally. If it idles slow and smooth, compression is good. Pull lower gearcase plug after test.. if water or milky colored lube comes out, you may need to re-seal gearcase..

lindy46

Captain
$500 seems a bit high to me. It would have to be in pristine condition for me to shell out that kind of money.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Markets are wildly different.-----I have been given these motors even low hour motors.-----But that is in areas where lots were sold and used.-------Doubt that many motors were used in Arizona in the 1960's as compared with population numbers there today.----So demand for these simple motors can be high.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Look for signs of overheating (scorched paint on powerhead).

thatone123

Banned
I have had a number of these and the older 20/25. Bulletproof outboards. That is low dollar in many places for a good one. Lightest power to weight ratio of any portable outboard in this range. 4 strokes are heavy as h ___ and Yamaha 2 strokes are heavy also. Many oldsters in particular want these because of the weight issue. I tell folks that these will be still running when many portable 4 strokes are worn out and dead. A good idea of correct prices is www.smalloutboards.com

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well , they want $4000 for a 1955 model 25 HP that is not the correct colours.----Only need one customer I suppose.-------Wish I could get what they are asking for some motors.