Help1980 85 hp Evenrude Water Pump

Rapio

Seaman
Installing pump kit. Removal instructions say, turn shaft CC to unlock key. Lift pump off.. Housing came off. Impeller seems stuck to shaft. Over the years I have done this 3 times no problems. No corrosion. Fresh water. What am I doing wrong. Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
You're doing nothing wrong. There are occasions when the impeller will rust, corrode, lock onto the driveshaft and key.

If the key is indeed the old type metal half moon key, you will probably have to cut the impeller rubber away in one are so that you can split the impellers brass hub to free it.

If the key is the plastic type that simply sits on a flat surface, use a ball peen hammer to knock the impeller back and forth to free it.

Let us know how you make out.

Rapio

Seaman
Thanks. Worked great. The only thing I might add is: I forced 2 composite tapered shims ( like carpenters use) under the impeller. used a short piece of 1x2 to pound close to hub. A couple good whacks and it popped. Again many thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Thanks. Worked great. The only thing I might add is: I forced 2 composite tapered shims ( like carpenters use) under the impeller. used a short piece of 1x2 to pound close to hub. A couple good whacks and it popped. Again many thanks

Yeah, that too!... I was just about to suggest that! :)