6hp Johnson

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I found a 6hp johnson today around 1970 or 1971 and the ignition cam and the plastic cam follower from the carb are worn down..... It looks like the cam has ground down and it cut into the plastic follower. I have some better pictures but for some reason I cant down load them... Is this a normal problem? I picked up the motor for 50 dollars with a tank... It started on the second pull... I was pleased because I was told it was not started for several years... it has 100 psi on both by my gauge... The filter cap on the fuel pump is cracked so it has a problem to stay running.But it seems to be worth working on...

Attachments

• photo309217.jpg
    photo309217.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • photo309218.jpg
    photo309218.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Okay thanks I knew I was going to have to remove flywheel and check the coils and such,,, And I have a couple good fuel pumps.. I will inspect and probably replace at least the impeller... A new problem arose as it it seems to not stay in gear unless I hold the shift lever so maybe there is some kind of adjustment?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No adjustment for the shift that I know of.-----Perhaps brass coupling is not assembled properly with notches lined up in bolt holes.------

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Clutch dog and forward gear are worn out. Probably why you "found" it. But it all shows how tough those motors are. It has so many hours it that the throttle cam and dog are worn out--and still running.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Trying to hold it in gear against the dog fighting back will damage the shift linkage too. Best bet is fix it before bad gets worse.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Okay thank you both I thought about as racerone said I need to inspect the shift rod coupling... I bought the motor for pieces for my other sweet running 1970 6hp... But if it can be running without too much effort then I will try... The person I bought it from said he just put a 18hp and a 10hp along with a 9.5 hp in the dump...What a shame... The seller listed the motor for pieces so I am not upset for my purchase..

Last edited:

thatone123

Banned
Anything a human touches on these and other portable outboards will be worn. ie. Throttle and all connections, Recoil starter and shifter. They will keep running with these items rebuilt many times. Best of the Best....

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
The motor was not jumping out of gear after all as it was the prop spinning on its hub.......I pulled the brass bushing right out of the prop with a pair of pliers...I was giving it throttle and I imagined it was jumping out of gear..... Beer and troubleshooting dont mix I guess....Under the flywheel I found a black coil and an original cracked coil....The carb looks good with new gaskets and parts except for an old flaking float....I have some photos but again the site wont let me upload them....The gear oil was black but free of any water... And the worn down cam wont allow the motor to reach full throttle or hold an idle.....But I think it I can put the motor right with some effort and a few parts...

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The worn cam would have NO EFFECT on idle.----At idle the cam usually does not touch the follower.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Yes your right... But it seemed to me that the cam was moving on its own so probably as you said it is another issue...

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
What I meant is that I am able to troll and run at very slow speed with my 12ft boat on the river for as long as I want without touching the throttle.... This newer motor seams to want to die and I can see the cam and mag plate moving to the left and the motor dies... So I need to hang on to the throttle at all times.... Maybe it is because of the weak coil or as I said I tend to drink too much while working on stuff....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Maybe the friction block in the handle grip is missing ?----Or a coil is rubbing on the flywheel.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Okay thanks I will take a look at both..... The cam was out as far as it could be so maybe someone tried to use it as a throttle "stop"..

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
So I replaced one coil cleaned and installed new float in the carb....Repaired the cam and cam follower.. Cleaned and set points and it runs great....The throttle would not stay on its own.. So I put a different grip from a 9.5hp complete with spring and whatever else is in there... And that fixed that problem..Thank you racerone...So maybe the friction block was broken or worn.. The one I took off was in there but I am not sure if it is ok or not..The only real issue now is that the armature control lever hits the brass ring under the mag plate just before full throttle.. Maybe I can adjust this by changing how the gears mesh at the bottom of the "tower" ? Or maybe some other way that I cant see?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Something is supposed to limit how far the mag plate rotates at full throttle. I'm not sure what that "something" is on a 6hp. Perhaps it is what you are descibing??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 6 HP is not the same as the 10 and 18 HP with regards to a shift interlock / throttle stop.