77' Evinrude throttle link spring

Ninja_C

Cadet
Hello, new member here. It's a 77' 55hp (model #55773d) Recently got this motor for my 1648 and it seems I'm missing the spring pictured. I'm having some weird symptoms I believe could be related (wants to die when out in gear at low RPM, runs perfect WOT, issue idling unless choke adjusted manually on water). Does this seem correct? Or sounds like I have a bigger issue? No issues at all when running with muffs or in a barrel at the house. Only while on the water. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo309194.jpg
    photo309194.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That spring is meant to keep the choke shaft open and prevents it from flopping around / wearing out I believe.------Do some other trouble shooting .----Start with a compression test first.

Ninja_C

Cadet
That spring is meant to keep the choke shaft open and prevents it from flopping around / wearing out I believe.------Do some other trouble shooting .----Start with a compression test first.

Thanks for the reply. Compression is 122/119 respectively. I haven't touched the carbs or even inspected yet. If that spring isn't to blame, should that be my next step?

Ninja_C

Cadet
My gauge would show 140 + on one of those motors.

Interesting. I was happy seeing just a 3psi difference. How low is that in terms of motor health on this model? And any reccomendations on it? I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm fairly new to outboards.