1999 Evinrude 50 hp telltale

Malpais Man

Cadet
1999 Evinrude 50 hp

I recently purchased a boat that has a 1999 50hp E50pl4ee motor. I took it out on the water for the first time and she purred like a kitten. The question I have is that I noticed the water telltale does'nt shoot out high pressure like my other Mercury does. The water stream is steady but I believe it is because the nozzle on my Mercury is much smaller (a little larger than the diameter of a large paperclip) while the nozzle on the Evinrude is much larger (a little smaller than the diameter of a dime) I believe this would be the reason the water does not shoot out like on my Mercury. I checked the hoses and they were all clear. I thought I would verify this with those of you who are familiar with these motors if that is what is normal.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There is an entire forum dedicated to Evinrude outboards here on this site: Evinrude. You may get a quicker answer there.

Malpais Man

Cadet
I recently purchased a boat that has a 1999 50hp E50pl4ee motor. I took it out on the water for the first time and she purred like a kitten. The question I have is that I noticed the water telltale does'nt shoot out high pressure like my other Mercury does. The water stream is steady but I believe it is because the nozzle on my Mercury is much smaller (a little larger than the diameter of a large paperclip) while the nozzle on the Evinrude is much larger (a little smaller than the diameter of a dime) I believe this would be the reason the water does not shoot out like on my Mercury. I checked the hoses and they were all clear. I thought I would verify this with those of you who are familiar with these motors if that is what is normal

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Poor water peeing through water indicator could be due to :

-Impeller vanes are shot, extremely hardened, loses pressure, need a new impeller.
-Crankcase's outer peeing tube has reduced its internal diam with prolongued use.
-Powerhead is extremely salted, internal water paths have reduced their diams. assuming the engine was regularly used on salt water ?

If the peeing pressure increases notoriously when the engine is running beyond idle speed, it's OK.

Happy Boating

Malpais Man

Cadet
Thank you, Oldboat1 that looks different, my motor has two water tubes that come to a T fitting which leads to the telltale hole. As Ientioned the exit hole is quite a bit larger. I had her on the lake today for 4 hours trolling and no issues. No salt water Sea Rider just local lakes

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
All assemblies should come with a piece of weed whacker string to clear mud daubers!

Malpais Man

Cadet
Here is a pic of the telltale on muffs at idle I have had it out twice and no overheating issues after several hours. I did see some other videos of this type of motor and some seemed to be the same as this one

Malpais Man

Cadet
Suzuki built motor it is.

Yes, it seems it is a Suzuki rebrand from what I can tell. It looks just like the Suzuki DF 50. I purchased the service manual for the Evinrude only one I could find was for a 70hp 4 cylinder) 9and was able to find the one for the Suzuki, the Suzuki service manual seems more accurate.