1955 Johnson 5 1/2

KonaB206

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wandering if anyone would happen to have a schematic of the top of the drive shaft where it meets the powerhead. Pretty much I'm wanting to make sure everything is in the right spot from the roll pin up to the rubber washer. My motor looks like it might have been rebuilt before and when I took the powerhead off of the lower unit it just didn't look right to me.
There was a roll pin then a thin washer with raised edges then a spring and then a flat washer then a rubber washer.
does this sound right?
Anyways I just got done with the lower unit and that's all I have left then I can reattach the powerhead and start working on the ignition and carb.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is an important mechanical seal.-----There is a black carbon piece above the spring.----There is an o-ring in the carbon too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Improper assembly or poor condition of that seal has likely ruined more of those motors than any other item. Failure of the seal lets water into the crankcase. I advise people to always use a new 303347 o-ring and 303355 gasket. Glue the gasket to the plate so it (the plate) doesn't spin.

Attachments

• photo283302.jpg
    photo283302.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0