1960 evinrude 10 hp

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
just saw a 1960 evinrude 10 hp on Craigslist for 100$ I think it is model 10020? How good is this model? Thx

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That was the last year for the bronze bushing on the wrist pin.------The 61 to 63 models used a needle bearing.--------Same needle bearing as was used on the 20 / 40 HP and also on a V-4 model 125 HP.------In my humble opinion that bearing is cosidered " robust " for the 10 HP-----So check it out if it was a regular runner for slop in that bushing.----It will rattle at idle if bad.--------If it sat around it may well be OK there.-----Bonus----The later rods and pistons with the improved bearing will swap in.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That was the last year for the bronze bushing on the wrist pin.------The 61 to 63 models used a needle bearing.--------Same needle bearing as was used on the 20 / 40 HP and also on a V-4 model 125 HP.------In my humble opinion that bearing is cosidered " robust " for the 10 HP-----So check it out if it was a regular runner for slop in that bushing.----It will rattle at idle if bad.--------If it sat around it may well be OK there.-----Bonus----The later rods and pistons with the improved bearing will swap in.

That is all very true, and probably what I would have said. It might also be added that a very large proportion of the wrist pin slop comes from excessive wear of the pin-to-piston fit. That's why the pistons must be replaced along with the rod and bearing if doing the upgrade (new pin is larger diameter, giving more surface area in the piston pin bore).

BUT, don't let us scare you off. If the wrist pins are not battered out, it can give you a lot of good running, if the rest of the motor is in good condition. ALL OMC motors of that era need new coils if they haven't already been replaced. It is a simple procedure to check the wrist pins for wear.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Remove both spark plugs. Stick a screwdriver in one of the holes & touch top of piston with it. Slowly rotate the flywheel and follow the piston with screwdriver (Don't Push!). When piston reaches half way down the stoke, stop rotating the flywheel. Now give a push on the screwdriver. If you feel a clunk, the wrist pin is loose. Amount of clunk is related to amount of looseness. Repeat with other piston.

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
Ok thx. One other question.. If this motor is in good shape, how would it compare to a 1984 evinrude 9.9 that I have. I guess my question is which one would you prefer to own? Thx

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 1984 motor is just hard to beat.---Has a near bullet proof lower unit.-------The 1984 may only burn half the fuel compared to the 1960 model..

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
That’s why I appreciate this site so much. All of the knowledge and experience..Thx

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Did you pick up the '60? I run a '57 10 as well as '82 and '84 9.9s. Kind of apples and oranges. Might check compression and spark on the 10, if you can, and get some history. I enjoy working on and running the older points models, so kind of depends on what you like.

merkdawg0084

Chief Petty Officer
No sir I didn’t pick it up. Backed off of it. I have a 9.9 and 7.5. I really was gonna buy it out of shear boredom. Just give me something to do. Ha ha