Evinrude Outboard Starter to Ignition to Control Box wiring. Please Help Me.

Ricky Farr

Cadet
Dear All,

Before I begin, I'd like to express my sincerest thank you for any help I may receive. If this question is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry...I figured it was this one since I'm asking about wiring of the starter for a evinrude motor. I have a friend (that's the truth, this wouldn't have happened to me)...that asked if I'd help him connect his ignition switch up since he broke his key in his switch.

I connected the switch up and went to his house to install the ignition thinking it would be easy. Well, the only issue that arose is the control box wires. I'm not sure what to do to figure out the answer to my issue. Before I got to my friends house, he had disconnected the yellow/red wires from the control box. So, now all we have is a yellow/red wire coming from one terminal and a bare terminal on the other. I need to know which one should connect (through the plug) to the starter and which one connects to the ignition? All we know about this connection is that both wires are yellow with red stripe, but we don't know what they connect to and what they are coming from...

I'm assuming that I'll probably have to use the multimeter to figure this out, if so, how?

I think looking at the pictures, you'll see what the issue is...

Please help me. I'm desperate.

Thanks,

Rick

P.S. The first picture is of the control box, the second is the internals of the box underneath, the third picture is of the plug that should connect to the ignition switch (connected using the diagram in the last picture), and the fourth picture is of the terminals that I need to figure out what they should go to...

Attachments

• photo308979.jpg
    photo308979.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308980.jpg
    photo308980.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308981.jpg
    photo308981.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308983.jpg
    photo308983.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308984.jpg
    photo308984.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Your own picture #5 shows the yellow/red wires. If your question is which is which, it doesn't matter.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The neutral safety switch is in series between the "S" start terminal on the ignition switch and the starter solenoid on the motor.

Ricky Farr

Cadet
If your question is which is which, it doesn't matter.

I figured since both wires were originally Yellow with Red stripe, it wouldn't matter in the end how it was wired, but I wanted to make for certain.

So, just so I know I don't blow this guy's engine somehow...both wires are colored Yellow with Red stripe coming from the control box...one wire is connected to the "S" terminal on the ignition and one is connected straight (through the plug) to the starter on the motor. It doesn't matter which wire you connect, as long as it's connected in series, like how I describe. Right?

Thank you so much for your help!