1977 85 hp javelin water flo

pinto burger

Cadet
The 85 is a duel pickup tube system. With the lower unit removed I can hook water hose to right side and left side shoots fuel steam. Hook to left side and right side stream is very slow. Should these give equal amount of flow? Is there a blockage or even a check valve I don't know about? Any help is appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure you understand why there are 2 tubes ?-----Do you have the waterflow diagram for this motor , yes or no??----Or I am asking ------" Is the one tube a return to the pump " ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
That is a thermostat-controlled, recirculating cooling system. Water from the pump goes up one tube, through the engine block, and then is presented to the thermostat. If the 'stat says it is too cool, the water returns to the pump via a check valve and second tube. This continues till the 'stat says it is warm enough, then it opens and water is discharged back to sea and replaced with new cold water. It is a continuous process, not an either/or thing.

No, you cannot shove water through it in the wrong direction, except for a small amount that bypasses the thermostat.