Johnson or Evinrude Outboard Lubricant

mikeyk101

Seaman
I am slowly going through my 87 48 SPL motor and cleaning it up. On another thread, I mentioned that it had a rough idle. Compression check done and after first having a problem with compression tester fitting, both cylinders finally tested at 150 psi. Carb rebuild is done. Pulled flywheel to check ignition components under there and fix sticky armature plate. I removed the plate and there is some old grease around inside lip that will be cleaned out and replaced. But the service manual calls for " Johnson or Evinrude outboard lubricant" to be used to lubricate the armature plate bearing groove.

I found another thread elsewhere which mentioned that a couple drops of TCW-3 oil is a good substitute. Would this be better than say, silicone spray? I have both but would like to use whatever would do a better job. Thanks

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
BRP Evinrude-Johnson Triple-Guard marine grease would be the right stuff I'd think

Otherwise Quicksiver 2-4-C marine grease or any other reputable grade 2 marine grease

mikeyk101

Seaman
I may have described the part wrong. I am talking about the delrin/maybe rubber ring around the edge that fits underneath that plate. I would think grease would be too thick. I know that grease is needed for the inside lip under the plate where it fits onto towards the crankshaft but it didnt seem like there had been any kind of grease previously with the ring. The manual just calls for Johnson outboard lubricant but for the other part, it calls for OMC Moly Lube which is more of a grease. That would lead me to believe it would require a lighter lubricant instead of any kind of actual grease. I could be wrong and wouldn't be the first time...

mikeyk101

Seaman
Just to add, the part I am discussing, the manual says "lubricate armature plate bearing groove with a light coating of Johnson or Evinrude Outboard Lubricant." To me, that sounds like what I would do with an oring on a oil filter for my car. That's why I thought about using silicone spray or like I found elsewhere, TC-W3 oil.

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
glad to see compression was good, while your under the flywheel look for dark gooey substances around the charge coil and ignition sensor. as far as your lub question, just a backyard fixer here, i seem to remember using silicone spray cause i wanted to keep it alight film/coating there.

mikeyk101

Seaman
Looks like I may have found an answer. I found this on ebay and in the description it mentions it is 50:1 lubricating oil. I also found another reference in Service Manual where a pint of Johnson Outboard Lubricant gets mixed in 5 gallons of gas with other stuff for winterizing purposes. And I am pretty sure that it is no longer made anyway. So I am assuming that I should be able to get away with a light coating of TC-W3 for this purpose.

Attachments

• photo308937.jpg
    photo308937.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0

mikeyk101

Seaman
glad to see compression was good, while your under the flywheel look for dark gooey substances around the charge coil and ignition sensor. as far as your lub question, just a backyard fixer here, i seem to remember using silicone spray cause i wanted to keep it alight film/coating there.

I didnt find any black gooey stuff in there. The ignition sensor looked like it had slight rub marks on the face and appeared to have weird slight burn marks in a couple of spots but tested ok at 39 ohms. The charging coil looked almost brand new and tested fine when checking ohms. I had already purchased new ignition sensor so I just replaced that for good measure. I had also purchased a new stator and changed that out as well. The old one looked a bit worn so again, for good measure, changed it out too. I found a brand new OEM for $60. The only thing I found was that the windings on the old appeared to be slightly thicker wire and were a copper color. The new one has thinner wire and was a reddish color. I did check both stators with a multimeter but both showed ohms at 0.00. The manual says that that I should have got 0.27 +/- 0.05 ohms so maybe I was doing something wrong. But neither one checked out as grounded so that's good.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Looks like I may have found an answer. I found this on ebay and in the description it mentions it is 50:1 lubricating oil. I also found another reference in Service Manual where a pint of Johnson Outboard Lubricant gets mixed in 5 gallons of gas with other stuff for winterizing purposes. And I am pretty sure that it is no longer made anyway. So I am assuming that I should be able to get away with a light coating of TC-W3 for this purpose.

You are right! I thought I had read that Triple guard grease replaced the outboard lubricant ... obviously mistaken