1989 Johnson 200 GT won't start

TimTJR

Seaman
I started my boat for the first time this year and it started after about 10 seconds of turning the key, choking it, and giving a little gas. It started and was smoking like crazy so I decided to let it run for a few min. The smoke eventually lightened up but was running a little rough. I decided to disconnect the VRO because I been wanting to mix my own fuel and oil. So I started it again and it took about the same efforts as the first time. I let it run for a few minutes again so I turned the motor off to see if it would start right back up like it usually does once it's warm. Well now it won't start at all. It keeps turning and turning but won't start. I noticed the primer bulb kind of funky. When I squeeze it, every squeeze is inconsistent. One squeeze, the bulb gets tight, the next squeeze, the bulb feels kinda bubbly and goes flat. It is a Sierra Marine brand. Oh, and It felt like this when I first started it today not sure if the bulb is the culprit because it started when it felt like this but won't start all a sudden. Anyone have any advice? Is there a way to test a bulb? Could my bulb have just bit the dust?

Another note, when I point the side of the bulb that goes toward the motor upward, the bulb stays hard. But the motor still won't start. Not sure what the heck happened.

TimTJR

Seaman
Battery has been on charger all night. Currently reading 12 v with voltage meter. Just purchased a set of new plugs and new genuine Johnson bulb. Once I get home today from work I will install new plugs and bulb. Also going to check for fire and check compression today while I'm at it. Will follow up later. Thanks for all the pointers.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A fully charged battery should read about 12.8 volts a few minutes after you stop charging it.-----A free load test at a car parts store might be a good idea.

TimTJR

Seaman
A fully charged battery should read about 12.8 volts a few minutes after you stop charging it.-----A free load test at a car parts store might be a good idea.

Okay thanks. I will check it again when I get home. The charger is still on and it's only on a trickle charger.
Would the .8 volts cause it not to start?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A bad battery will lead to slow cranking speed.-------Then the magneto may not generate spark.----Easy for you to eliminate that possibility.

TimTJR

Seaman
Okay. The battery is not even a year old. I should have added that info in from the beginning. However, the cranking speed has always seemed slower than what I would expect compared to other boats I have owned. Note I have only had this boat for a year. I will try to post a video tonight.

TimTJR

Seaman
Just found a big problem . One cylinder compression reads 120 while the other 5 cylinders reads around 62.

Last edited:

TimTJR

Seaman
I just put new plugs in it and charged the battery and it started right up . Not sure what to do about my cylinder issue at the moment. Might need to rebuild my cylinders.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Try another compression test gauge. Remove other plugs, and crank until needle stops moving -- record finding and move to the next one. I don't think it would run with the numbers shown -- certainly not well.

TimTJR

Seaman
I just bought this compression gauge today brand new. It was $40. Is it possible that it's defective? I took tested each cylinder again and got the exact same readings. I was reading about this particular motor on other forums and some people said this motor was manufactured with lower compression than you would expect. I don't know is this is true or not.

TimTJR

Seaman
Also, the motor doesn't run real smooth, like you suggested. It's kinda jerky.

TimTJR

Seaman
Checked the compression today with all the plugs out and all cylinders ranged from 70-75 psi. Didnt know leaving all the other plugs in would make such a difference but it makes sense after thinking about it .