1968 Johnson 15hp Worktwin parts

GMdieseltech43

Recruit
I have a 15hp Johnson Worktwin that I’ve been repairing. Parts listings for this engine are rather vague. From what I’ve been told and have researched these were made for the European market and not generally sold in North America. I know it’s very much like the early 60’s Gale 15hp. From what I’ve been told they are detuned 18hp’s. Mine is even more odd in that it has a squared off leg, slightly different gear case and I found the water pump has an extension on it I hadn’t seen on the other outboards I’ve had apart. I stripped a 1967 Worktwin for parts and it had the rounded leg. I’ve found gaskets and a carb kit along with ignition parts using the listings for an 18hp. I’d like to see if I could find rings and a head gasket for it. Anyone know where I might find those parts listings if they are still available? I’ve looked at the 18hp hard parts but I have no idea if they are the same. Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No-----Lots of them made / sold in North America.-----Have one here it is all white so a 66 model.------They are the economy off brand motors .----Not the same internally as the 18 hp models.-Rebadged as the work horse and worktwin to clear out old inventory.-----I have the parts list some where but can't get at it today.----Note------All the lower units changed shape in those years, nothing odd about that.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If..If it truly is a revived Gale 15 (I don;t know), then the bore is different size than the 18hp. That means different rings and head gasket. But Gale parts lists are easy to find.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is the revived off brand models.-----Certainly different internally than Gale / Buccaneer / Viking brands.

GMdieseltech43

Recruit
Sorry I should have put the model number in my post. I’d post pictures of it but the photos on my phone have to big a file size. Here’s the model number WH-14M. It does look like a Gale from the early 60’s case wise. Like I said I don’t know much about it and haven’t been successful in finding a lot of information or parts. The 18hp parts I have gotten for it have worked. Like the block to leg gasket. It’s a unique engine. I’d like to fully restore it. It does run but needs some work still.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Clearly stated ----It is the revived GALE motor.------Many parts are common to the 18 HP 22 cubic inch block motors including the " look "------But internal engine parts are NOT THE SAME on them.