1969 Evinrude 6hp

dawhite89

Cadet
I have a 1969 Evinrude 6hp. I’m fixing to start my rutine maintenance on it and noticed that I only have 25lbs compression in my top cylinder and 30 in the bottom. Any suggestions on what I need to do?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well----Either your gauge is bad or the head gasket is blown between the 2 cylinders.----Very common.------The new head gaskets are better than the original ones.----Sierra is better deal.-----So take the cylinder head off.----Report what you find here.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think if you had no prior issues before starting maintenance this year, the gauge is suspect. Borrow another one (screw in type with a compression relief button), and after connecting -- both plugs removed -- pull it over four or five times until the needle stops moving. Make a note of that reading.

Otherwise -- as stated above ^^^.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hm.m.m.m.m, "routine maintenance??? Are you telling us it was running before you checked the compression? They won't run with only 25-30 psi. If in fact that is all it has, that smacks of a blown head gasket between the cylinders, as racer suggested.

dawhite89

Cadet
Ok so I found out a little more on this motor. My grandpa gave me this motor a few months ago. He told me the last time he used the motor it wasn’t running good at all. He said it wouldn’t go full speed and would act like it’s choking out. He also said it would rev up ok in neutral but the problems came when it was in forward or reverse and it would eventually shut off and was hard to crank back up. Thoughts on this?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They all run pretty good in neutral.----No surprise there.-------Don't hesitate pull the head off !!-----Check spark too.------Both leads should have spark that jumps a gap of 1/4" or more.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Resurface the head with a flat surface and some 400 grit wet/dry paper. Torque to specs with and inside out pattern starting from the middle. Retest compression.