1988 150 Rudes

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I've been a dedicated Mercruiser SBC I/O advocate for the past 15yrs........getting tired of the maintenance.
Found an interesting boat for sale...........1988 24 Rampage Express.......great hull.
Has twin 1988 150 Evinrude engines. Have not even looked at the boat yet.........may go tomorrow.
Was thinking of bringing a battery and some tool and maybe checking compression.
Fuel is ~4yrs old...........
If I can get it for a REALLY good price and the compression is good........what are the chances these engines might run after I rebuild the carbs.........I had a '88 88HP Special a while back.
So I am considering buying the boat if the hull is in decent shape and maybe use the Rudes until I can afford a repower......
Am I nuts?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 150 is taller version of the 88 HP model.-----So fairly simple / rugged design.-----Easier to maintain than the new stuff in my opinion.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Any special I should look for?
Are these engines very fuel inefficient?
How many carbs?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your V-4 had 2 carburetors and a V-6 has 3 carburetors.------Fuel efficient is a relative term.-----A new set of fuel injected motors would be more efficient if you can handle the $30,000 investment in those.--Compression is the most important test.---All cylinders should be even.

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 150's are great engines. If the fuel system stays clean..............they run and run and run. Built like a tank.....old school technology.......runs good. Still use both v4 and v6's. Compression should be in the 90's for the v6's.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So I am considering buying the boat if the hull is in decent shape and maybe use the Rudes until I can afford a repower......Am I nuts?
Yes....lol

A good friend had a pair on his 24' Grady White before he re-powered. The sucking sound coming from the transom will drive you nuts. Figure @ 1 gallon per mile.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Never really checked on what my SBC uses..............350 4bbl w/ Vortec Heads.
Wonder how it would compare?