1999 Johnson 25 HP Alarm after running 5 mind

Jace4fla

Recruit
Hi. Just bought this boat that has some issues. So.... I rebuilt the carb and fuel system. Engine runs, but I get an alarm starts after a few minutes. Water is hooked up to the earmuff gadget. Not sure where I should see water coming out. Shop manual says it comes out of the way propeller. Not sure if the water impeller Cindy. Any ideas about the alarm?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Overheating.----2 or 3 cylinder motor ?-----Replace the water pump impeller.-----Test the water pump on the boat floating in the water.

Jace4fla

Recruit
It’s a 25 hp 2 cylinder. No tach, so I don’t know the RPMs. Only a speedometer on the console. Do you think it is an overheating alarm? I also don’t know if water is circulating, so I guess the water pump rebuild is in order. Is that a DYI job?

Is it a solid beeeeeep or a beep beep beep? Pressure control valve? A flushette is not the best way to diagnose a cooling issue. If you have a large garbage tub that may give you more info.

Jace4fla

Recruit
It’s a solid alarm. Has happened both that I have run the motor after rebuilding the carb and fuel pump. Flusher is on, but don’t know if the water is circulating. I’ll buy the impeller rebuild kit and do that tomorrow. Then I’ll put it in the water and see what happens. Where should the water be coming out? Am I going to see anything while it is running in the water? Or do I just wait to see if the alarm happens again?

Jace4fla

Recruit
Good morning. Question: Do I need to drain the gear case (I just changed the lube a few days ago) and undo the shift rod if I’m just rebuilding the water pump?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You should have water exiting cowl thru the rubber hose off exhaust cover, if not its not pumping. Also there is no pressure control valve on this motor...just t-stat

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Good morning. Question: Do I need to drain the gear case (I just changed the lube a few days ago) and undo the shift rod if I’m just rebuilding the water pump?

In theory you should not need to drain the gear-case..... provided the drive shaft pulls easily from the crankshaft and stays in position in the lower unit.
You do have to disconnect the joint between the upper and lower shift rods.

As said above you should be looking for a telltale "pee stream" from the hose coming from the exhaust manifold cover, and which exits via a grommet in the rear starboard corner of the lower engine cover, to show that the pump is pumping.

Fastbullet says there is no pressure control but ITYWF that the thermostat also acts as the pressure control valve. . I guess he means no separate pressure control valve

You may find the manual on the Boatinfo website helpful

Last edited:

Jace4fla

Recruit
Thanks for all of your replies! I’m going to test the motor on the boat with the trailer backed-down the launch ramp tomorrow. Fingers crossed. If it fails, I’ll rebuild the water pump and try again. Any tricks for not losing the plastic bushing that holds the nut onto the upper shift linkage? Looks like it could be trouble, especially since I don’t have full use of my fingers??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Spread out a fluffy beach towel or 2 under the motor.--------Part will fall on that and not bounce away to hide.-----They are proud of those pieces.