1962 10 hp Johnson QD-23 gearcase question

Steelhand

Seaman
I’ve been fortunate enough to acquire a rebuilt QD-23 Johnson. New points, coils, condensers, plugs and plug wires. Carburetor rebuilt. New water pump impeller. New drive shaft. The gears and clutch dog in the lower unit have been replaced with new gears and new seals added. Motor professionally repainted.

The question: In my opinion. When I put this motor in the water, there should be a break in period for the new gearcase gears. I feel a rebuilt gearcase should be treated the same as a rebuilt power head. A break in period should be observed. Am I correct?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These parts are precision made.----Just run it.------Rebuilt a 63 model 10 HP for the 8 year old grandson last year.-----He starts it with one pull when it is warmed up.-----So was the bushing above the pinion in good shape ?----Why the new driveshaft ?

Steelhand

Seaman
He explained the bushing was sloppy and intern caused damage to gears in lower unit. the pinion and driveshaft splines (lower side) were affected. New bushing added. Good question.

Steelhand

Seaman
Wait a minute, I was thinking of the shift rod bushing. The bushing above the pinion gear can't be replaced, right? That's one thing about them, they are bushings not bearings.

Steelhand

Seaman
I bought the motor yesterday. Have not seen it yet ( broke down or finished ) only have pictures. I pick it up next week end due to weather here and schedule. I will ask this question when I pick it up.

Attachments

• photo308801.jpg
    photo308801.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308803.jpg
    photo308803.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0

Steelhand

Seaman
Boy, my newness in the boat motor business just shines. So much involved, one question leads to 3 more. Anyway racerone, I'm sure your grandson enjoys that motor. I'm putting this one on a 65 14ft starcraft for my 26 year old for his b-day next month. Trying to get him out and away from the remote controls and flatscreens. That's all he does after work, but he does work.

Attachments

• photo308805.jpg
    photo308805.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hopefully the proper repairs were done to the bushing above the pinion.----Ask the seller about that.----Those bushings are quite well designed.------Motor is 55 years old after all.--------The QD-23 I did trolls hr after hr without missing a beat.----They are a great runner.-----Use more fuel than a new motor , but what can you do.

Steelhand

Seaman
Duly noted racerone. That question will be perused further. It is what he does as a hobby and he is meticulous at his work. We talked about that bushing but I just can't remember every detail. I resealed and impeller changed my first time over the week end in the 6 hp 79 Johnson I have, so I'm mixed with the two even though I talked with him yesterday.

Yes, the motor has years, it is 57 this year. That's why I favored it over a few others. I was born in 62.

Thanks for the advise to just run it, he'll love to hear that. Nothing worse than to be told to keep it slow for 10 hours with something new.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 6 hp I gave him for his 7th birthday was not big enuff for 3 of us in the boat.----So the 10 was put on the boat.------Grandson is big enuff to drive his own go cart.-----Simply amazing to watch him take the seat and go " pedal to the metal "-No instructions needed for him to drive.----He did run into the tires in one turn.----Sat there and waited for help.

Steelhand

Seaman
I had to pick my truck up from the dealership after it's check up.

I wasn't even allowed around anything that used gas at 7. I'm sure it is a prideful thing to watch. Go karts and boating at 8? atta boy!

My 3 & 6hp are for pushing me & my little 53 feathercraft around. No speedy Gonzales but I'm in no hurry. I'm tickled to death to out there on the water. I started this boating business 7 months ago. I have lots of river and lake time ahead of me. I'm dead set on maintaining my motors. Much to learn.

Thanks for all the information and have a good day.

lindy46

Captain
Hey Bruce - I sold you the motor. No problem with the driveshaft bushing. I replaced the entire gearcase housing with a good used unit with a good bushing, and matching driveshaft. No problem there.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is one of the great things about these motors.------Many were built.----Many good used parts if you know where / have the patience to look.----Even the 9.5 HP uses the same gearcase ( different shift rod / driveshaft ) but can be used.

Steelhand

Seaman
lindy46 - hello my friend. sorry I didn't not respond. I dropped off after my last post. Thanks for posting. As of today, I haven't even put fuel in it or started it. I end up with a new boat and motor package for my boy. The 10's sitting there looking pretty enough to wear make up and high heels, just the way you finished it. You did a wonderful outstanding job.

Attachments

• photo310437.jpg
    photo310437.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes----A skilled machinist with a boring bar and information as to where to POSITION the hole can install a new bushing.