Timer base

willows.2@hotmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
Hello.

Could someone advise me on how i can check if a Timer Base is shorting to ground?
I only have access to Digital Multimeter. Don't have a DVA adaptor.

Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Set the ohm meter on high. Have all wires leading to the timer base disconnected. Have the black meter lead connected to a powerhead ground. Use the red lead from the meter to touch each lead, one by one, that leads to the timer base. If the meter indicates a reading on any lead, that indicates that particular lead is grounding out.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Your motor has Quikstart and here is testing.. Use a diode to test you meter for high/low readings when leads swapped.Install the RED lead to (E) pin and take BLK lead and touch A/B/C pins separately .A Fluke 29 must be set at 40ohn scale to read properly. A Fluke 29 reading will be 900-/+ ohm but what your looking for is all readings to be equal. Ohm between pins E and D and you should have 450-/+50 ohms. Test as Joe said above....attach BLK to timer metal base or engine ground and touch each pin, that is the trigger bench test..... Have you disconnected the blk/yell wire from harness at timer base? Have you checked voltage into pack at yel/red wire from starter solenoid? Have you ohmed the org-org/blk wires from stator? Have you tested voltage on these wires again as previous post you stated 100+ volt which is incorrect..should be 12-24 v

willows.2@hotmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
Faztbullet(and everyone else).

Thanks for helping out here.
What am i looking for when you say "Have you checked voltage into pack at yel/red wire from starter solenoid"
and what does the voltage do?.
I assume it will be 12volts plus when cranking.......yes?
I have just replaced the Power Pack from a known running engine and still don't have spark.
Ive just ordered a DVA adaptor.......hope that will shed some light.

Cheers.

willows.2@hotmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
Ok. I finally obtained a DVA.
Just to refresh.....the problem initially was having No Spark after sitting for some time.
Here are some test that i done with Spark Plugs in and cranking.
Stator showing 230volts plugged (320volts unplugged?) on Brown Wires and 16volts on Orange Wires plugged.
Timer Base showing 2.64v on Green,2.28v on Blue and 1.08v on Purple. I rechecked the reading on Purple to make sure and it was the same. I guess it would be suspect....because specs say it needs to be 1.5v min ....correct?
I would think the Stator is OK?
Not sure how i can test voltage output on the CDI?
Would the TimerBase need to be good first, in order to be able to test the CDI properly?
Would you agree that the Timer Base appears to be faulty?

Thanks.

willows.2@hotmail.com

Seaman Apprentice
Wondering if there is a way of testing if the Trigger Magnets are still good?
Is there a specification for them and how would i measure or determine if they are good or bad?

Thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Magnets never go bad. Besides, they must be good because they are creating trigger voltages

thatone123

Banned
Wow! Why does just readin' this stuff give me a nervous stomach? One of these days I hope to get this electronic Jass down cold.