1965 Evinrude 3hp Lightwin Question

sekliwdor

Recruit
I have a 1965 Evinrude 3hp Lightwin that I just got running. Can someone tell me what lubrication is needed? There is a grease fitting on the shaft and I'm not sure what type of grease I should use. Its definitely different than the typical gear oil that my other outboard use.

Thanks!

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
"grease fitting on the shaft" like ZERK.... just use regular marine grade grease from walmart with a grease gun

gearcase uses 90 grade oil ...from walmart

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I have a 1965 Evinrude 3hp Lightwin that I just got running. Can someone tell me what lubrication is needed? There is a grease fitting on the shaft and I'm not sure what type of grease I should use. Its definitely different than the typical gear oil that my other outboard use.

Thanks!

^^^^^^^ Use a marine grade grease for the grease fitting and a outboard gear oil ( SAE 90) for the gear case

Officially 50:1 fuel mix but the engine has plain bearings, not needle bearings, therefore a more oily mix , even as much as 24:1 like pre1964 models, would be beneficial although a bit smoky.

lindy46

Captain
I believe there is just an oil hole on the swivel tube, but if someone has installed a grease fitting, that is even better. Seems like grease would last longer than oil in the swivel tube. I separate the halves and grease them up.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
The parts diagram shows a grease nipple: #0307256

It would not be a bad idea for the OP to separate the two halves and clean out all the old grease