70EL78 Johnson Sea Horse

leeboy49346

Recruit
Boat will lose spark on all three coils. I try later and they have spark and boat will start.Any help out there with this one?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your ideas may vary.----Here is what I would do.------Get battery load tested.----Pull starter apart for inspection.-----Inspect battery cables.-----Remove black / yellow stripe wire from power pack circuit and test for spark if there is none.------These are trouble shooting steps and no money spent so far.

wrench 3

Commander
I'm not sure were racerone is going with the starter checks but disconnecting the black yellow wire and testing for spark will let you know if the problem is in the ignition system itself or in the shutdown circuits. It will have to be done when the engine quits. If there's still no spark with the wire disconnected go to http://boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manu...rude.html#/128 The ignition system trouble shooting starts on page 129.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----These motors must spin fast in order for the magneto to produce a spark.----Therefor a wise owner would inspect the cranking system,.----No money spent to do that !

wrench 3

Commander
???----These motors must spin fast in order for the magneto to produce a spark.----Therefor a wise owner would inspect the cranking system,.----No money spent to do that !

Makes sense now. Thanks racerone.