2000 Johnson 150 Timing Pointer Check

Jose67

Seaman
I am attempting a link and sync on a 2000 Johnson 150 Ocean Pro with the OIS ignition system. I bought the OEM manual P/N 787070 inside the cover it shows what models it covers, I do not see my model listed (J150vxsss). Would this still be the correct manual for my model motor? Anyway the first step it lists for synchronization is for the timing pointer. Step #4 states "While holding the piston firmly against the tool, mark the timing wheel directly across from the pointer. Consider this mark A". When they say directly across do they mean directly across 180 degrees from the pointer or directly to the right of the pointer? I may be over thinking this step but it is throwing me off as if it is across 180 degrees there are no scribed numbers on the timing wheel there or am I doing this step wrong. I have read over each step in the "Synchronization and Linkage Adjustment" section and this is the only one throwing me off. I am using a piston stop tool and the Johnny Rude Easy Timer. The Easy Timer seems as if it works opposite from the OMC ignition analyzer, adjustments are made when the CYL light comes on as opposed to when the light goes off with the OMC tool.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Forget the 180 degree marks, forget any markings on the flywheel. They're telling you to make a mark on the flywheel at wherever the timing pointer is aiming when the piston hits the tool.... do it..... now, turning the flywheel in the opposite direction until the piston hits the tool... mark the flywheel wherever the timing pointer is aiming. Now, between those two marks, measuring exactly... make a mark. that is top dead center and where the pointer should be locked into. If not move it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Its the timing wheel you use and look at picture 4 in manual, this is how you mark it and use the cast in mark.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Unable to "Quote" so going the copy/paste route..... racerone stated: "The flywheel is not visible on these motors." Now you tell me! :)