Evinrude 15 hp E15ECCS Convert for electric lights?

thatone123

Banned
Hey guys, I have another doosie of a question. I acquired this outboard recently and it is like new with 130 psi compression. IT is electric start. Can I run a LED light for night travel off this motor? Can I convert it easy to do so? I know they had some in Europe that ran 12 volt lights? Any answers would be appreciated. I have read that these motors can hardly charge the battery let alone a light, but LED does not take much juice I think?

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer
Your coils are only 4amps the part no is 0582926 for your 4amp

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
The model number says it has electric starting. and you say that is so. It will, therefor, already have the relevant stator coil and a 4 or 5 amp rectifier for battery charging.

You will be able to run your navigation lights from this.

However because the output voltage is not regulated do not run LED lights direct without a battery because the voltage may rise to a level too high for the LEDs.... but check the volts output and the spec of the lights... Lights with a decent driver circuit may well be OK.
LED lights designed as navigation lights should be Ok on the battery although the volts may go up to about 16 volts

Last edited:

thatone123

Banned
So, even though it is only a 4 amp rectifier I guess I can run the lights off the battery and hope the motor charges the battery, right?

thatone123

Banned
This would be a bright LED spot type light like some use on cars and trucks, but small.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Without knowing the specifics of your particular light, it is risky giving you an absolute answer. But the charging system is only used to replenish the juice that you use to start the motor (very little). So 4 Amps is plenty for normal use. In other words, enough to run a spotlight drawing 4 Amps or less. Even if it were to use more, like 6 Amps, it would go a long time before it discharges the battery significantly. Keep in mind it is only producing that 4 Amps while running at significant speed. So if you are putt-putting around all night, your lights are running mostly off the battery.

Last unanswered question is can the light stand overvoltage? It is possible, but quite unlikely for Volts to go as high as 16V. Cars normally run close to around 14V, so it really is not a biggie deal. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. The worst that could happen is blow the LEDs.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
If the length and maximum speed of the boat allows only an all-round white light to be used then the power comsumption of a suitable LED light will be only 1 watt or less.

If the boat must also display port and starboard lights ( or a combined P & S ) then you are looking at an additional 2 watts.
Therefore even if P,S & ARW are fitted the power consumption at 12 volts is only equivalent to 0.25 amp.

The acceptable voltage range varies from brand to brand; some only operating at 12 ± 20% while others can accept a much wider voltage range. That is, therefore, something additional to consider when choosing the lights..
LED navigation lights are not cheap. You would not want to risk blowing the LEDs by operating outside the light's specification.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Navigation lights? Silly me, I thought we were discussing a frog giggin', alligator hunting, spotlight. Possibly in addition to navigation lights?

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
..hook up a ammeter on you circuit feeding ALL lights and turn them all ON measure the amp load then decide what amp drain this creates on your battery.

Even if it sucks some extra juice from the battery I doubt you would drain it enough to keep it from restarting your engine

in any event the parts list for the e15ccs shows a recoil starter …..which you can always use is stuck :thumb:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
This would be a bright LED spot type light like some use on cars and trucks, but small.

Sorry I missed that. I assumed that when you said for "night travel" in your opening post you meant navigation lights but presumably you already have those fitted

Your best bet for a small spot light is probably a hand held one. Most though seem to be powered by their own rechargeable battery but they can be recharged from the boat's 12 volt system

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I ran Navigation Lights off of a 25hp Suzuki's lighting Coil before. With just a Voltage Regulator, they dimmed a little at idle but no issues at speed.
And they were Non LED

thatone123

Banned
All good answers I will take to heart...Thanks! Actually the light is for waterfowl hunting this fall so that I can get to the marsh early about 5:30 instead of waiting for daylight.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
voltage and burning LED… if you are worried there are all sort of voltage regulators out there on the net .

my Humminbird was shutting down on high voltages from my Merc 50 …..3 x1 amp 12 v regulators from Radio shack solved it . other products are available RS is R.I.P.