1966 6 hp fisherman Evinrude problem with power

patflans

Recruit
1966 6hp fisherman

Hi all! I am really confused, I bought 2 years ago from the original a 1966 6hp Evinrude fisherman motor. I use it for moose hunting to get to the island, about 6 min and once a year for fishing during a weekend. My issue is, it seems to fall on one cylinder, I did a compression test and in both cylinders I have 80psi. I did a spak test with the spark tester and the light comes on on both cylinders. What am I missing?

patflans

Recruit
Hi all! I am really confused, I bought 2 years ago from the original a 1966 6hp Evinrude fisherman motor. I use it for moose hunting to get to the island, about 6 min and once a year for fishing during a weekend. My issue is, it seems to fall on one cylinder, I did a compression test and in both cylinders I have 80psi. I did a spak test with the spark tester and the light comes on on both cylinders. What am I missing?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Very common to run on one cylinder.----Answer this question.-----Does the spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more , yes or no ?.------Or remove the flywheel and you will likely find 2 cracked coils.-----Luck if they have been replaced already.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Is the fuel fresh? Try the drop-cylinder test: Start the motor and remove one plug boot at a time. If there is no effect when one of the boots is pulled, that plug is probably not firing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I don't care what the spark tester says, pull the flywheel and take a looksee. Dirty breaker points?? Cracked coils?? Bad plug wire??

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
my latest fix on a 4hp was a bad connection inside the plug's rubber booth

due to corrosion the spike inside the booth was not making good contact

if all is ok under the flywheel (points cleaned- adjusted condensers ok and coils …. check the wires

you may have just a bad sparkplug ..they do go bad

Attachments

• photo287991.png
    photo287991.png
    697.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo308666.jpg
    photo308666.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0

JohnnyGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also pull and check plugs, are they fouled? Sounds obvious, but worth mentioning.

A nice cheap spark gap tester is Lisle 50850.
I had purchased the inline one that lights up as you described originally. Now it just sits in the bottom of my toolbox.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
...or you can go to an auto parts place (NAPA, etc.) and pick one up for about $8-$10.