1995 Johnson 115 Tilt-trim problem

rbzbozzy

Cadet
Having problem with the tilt-trim. I raised it up to the position as shown in the picture and it will not go back down. The unit worked fine all last summer. The pump seems to be working OK. Once I looked the unit over closely, I noticed the tilt unit fluid reservoir to be completely empty of fluid. I don't want to take it in for costly repair if it is something I can manage myself.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    993.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Do it yourself... a child could do that chore. Engine tilted full up, fill the reservoir to overflowing, replace fill screw/seal. Run engine up/down a couple times... refill reservoir as above. Repeat until reservoir will accept no more fluid. Find the source of the leak... a future job.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Good eye.-----I missed the paint and cosmetic makeover.----Looks like some corrosion on it.-----Even the anode was painted for some reason .

rbzbozzy

Cadet
Do it yourself... a child could do that chore. Engine tilted full up, fill the reservoir to overflowing, replace fill screw/seal. Run engine up/down a couple times... refill reservoir as above. Repeat until reservoir will accept no more fluid. Find the source of the leak... a future job.

I know where to put the fluid in. I worded my question incorrectly I suppose. I'm having a time bleeding the air from the system so I'm on to looking for a leak somewhere.

rbzbozzy

Cadet
Looks like a 92 / 93 model.

1995 model. My dad purchased this motor along with a new boat back in 95 from our local marina. My Hydra sports bass boat is only the second boat this motor has ever been bolted to. It's been in our family ever since that time. The anodes got some paint when I repainted the shaft recently and I have not got around to replacing them with the new ones. Corrosion?? This motor has been garage kept since new, never set in the water overnight, only used here in the clear water of East Tennessee. I'm not sure what you fellas saw in the pics, but thanks for commenting.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
You stated "I know where to put the fluid in. I worded my question incorrectly I suppose. I'm having a time bleeding the air from the system so I'm on to looking for a leak somewhere." Those units are self bleeding unless the procedure got changed thru the years. If you can't get the hydraulic setup to move the engine because of the air... get as much fluid in there as possible, then cover the fill hole with a couple rags... then force about 7 to 12 psi of pressurized air through the rags to force the oil into its passageways. That usually does the trick.