1963 Johnson ignition wiring

Mrfreebe

Recruit
Hello everyone new here and new to outboard motor. I have a 1963 40 horse seaking that I'm trying to rewire the ignition had to replace all existing wires for the life of me I cannot figure out where the original two black wires one appears to come underneath the magneto when in the boat looking at the carburetor on the left side under the flywheel goes to the wiring harness to the ignition I do believe the other black wire comes from the right side of the motor the vacuum cut off do the wiring harness to the ignition I do believe from what I understand those two wires hook up to the M's on the new ignition hook but which wire goes where prevent smoking anyting or flying out the electrical system I just don't understand the charts and stuff in my manuals and what I see online because it doesn't show the motor I just don't get it any help would be wonderfully appreciated

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Mrfreebe

If you've not done so, please take some time to read our forum rules. We ask that you don't post to topics over 90 days old unless you're the original poster. I've moved your question into it's own topic.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Hello everyone new here and new to outboard motor. I have a 1963 40 horse seaking that I'm trying to rewire the ignition had to replace all existing wires for the life of me I cannot figure out where the original two black wires one appears to come underneath the magneto when in the boat looking at the carburetor on the left side under the flywheel goes to the wiring harness to the ignition I do believe the other black wire comes from the right side of the motor the vacuum cut off do the wiring harness to the ignition I do believe from what I understand those two wires hook up to the M's on the new ignition hook but which wire goes where prevent smoking anyting or flying out the electrical system I just don't understand the charts and stuff in my manuals and what I see online because it doesn't show the motor I just don't get it any help would be wonderfully appreciated

You dont give the exact model details or model number but, assuming its a mechanical shift motor, ITYWF

They come from the breakerpoints

One goes , via the wiring harness , to one of the "M" terminals on the ignition switch

The other goes to the centre terminal of the cut out switch and then on to the other "M" terminal on the ignition switch.

When the ignition switch is in the "off" position the "M" terminals are linked to each other, This kills the ignition.

You need to learn to understand the wiring diagrams in the workshop manual before messing with wiring!

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Did you ever work on an old Briggs and Stratton lawn mower with a coil, points and a condenser mounted under the flywheel? Your outboard has two of those, one for each cylinder.