E-tec replacement for a 55 1980 Johnson

mlaajanen

Seaman
Hi

I have a smal DC 15 feet with 4 seats and our 55 1980 Johnson is in a need of a rebuild.

However I have a hard time to find rebuild kit for this old one, those I find is all from newer years so I
am starting to think that perhaps we should get a new engine.

Honda 50 comes up but I prefer 2-stroke for the sound so which E-tec would match the old 55, it does not need to go faster just go as it now goes around 27-29 knots and being able to do waterskiing after?

cheers michael

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
just pick a ETEC hp rated to your boat's max HP rating or your wallet tolerance level

check out the deals before MARCH 31 to get extended warranties !!!! free

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
About 20 hp weaker. If your 55 is really really tired, the dif might be 10 hp

a new 50HP e-tec will be around what your old engine was when it was new, The old engine was crankshaft rated.

You should be able to get all the parts, a la carte, from dealers

My motto for powering/repowering is, If enough is Good, more is Better, and, Too Much is just Right! But I'm in Canada where no one cares about Overpowering

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
what does your insurance company think about it…. if anything happens they may chicken out on any payment of damage or civil liability because you had an undeclared risk which they would not have accepted if they knew….

that is how insurance companies work….all over and Canada

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I always told my Insurance Companies, there was a note on the Policy, and they took my money

mlaajanen

Seaman
About 20 hp weaker. If your 55 is really really tired, the dif might be 10 hp

a new 50HP e-tec will be around what your old engine was when it was new, The old engine was crankshaft rated.

You should be able to get all the parts, a la carte, from dealers

My motto for powering/repowering is, If enough is Good, more is Better, and, Too Much is just Right! But I'm in Canada where no one cares about Overpowering

No it's not that tired, but it runs bad on low RPM probably due to leaking air in the crankshaft sealings.

The problem with a new bigger than 30 is that it has 20 inch shaft, thats why the Honda is the second options since they still have 15 inch shafts.

I have tried contacting Mastertech(and they only list newer engines not -79-80), but no reply after several tries, maybe they are out of business?

Anyone you know that sells rebuild kits?

Michael