Etec is not peeing

bownarrow16

Cadet
2006 Etec telltale trouble

Hi I am new to the forum. Recently purchased my first pontoon - a 2005 Crest III in good shape. Its Evinrude Etec however appears to have some trouble peeing. A little water exits the telltale but it is more of a spatter than even a trickle. The previous owner had it less than a year, never had issues, but did not know how long it has been since the engine was serviced.

Anyway, I know very little about engines but it sounds like the water pump is out, right? Maybe a dirt dauber nest in there even? It's been sitting in a slip for months - so maybe the water inlet screens are clogged up with algae?

Any ideas or advice before I pull the boat out of the slip and start turning wrenches? I added a 30-second video clip of what the telltale is doing.

Thank you, David

bownarrow16

Cadet
Hi I am new to the forum. Recently purchased my first pontoon - a 2005 Crest III in good shape. Its Evinrude Etec however appears to have some trouble peeing. A little water exits the telltale but it is more of a spatter than even a trickle. The previous owner had it less than a year, never had issues, but did not know how long it has been since the engine was serviced. Anyway, I know very little about engines but it sounds like the water pump is out, right? Maybe a dirt dauber nest in there even? It's been sitting in a slip for months - so maybe the water inlet screens are clogged up with algae?  Any ideas or advice before I pull the boat out of the slip and start turning wrenches? I'll try to add a 30-second video clip of what the telltale is doing. Thank you, David 

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
pumping looks weak you should have an alarm display on your tach …. are you having HEAT alarms

in any event don't wait and get the pump impeller serviced by the ETEC dealer have him check the EMM log and give you a print out and send it in PDF to your email .

the log will list all the temperatures reached by the engine and any fault codes that require your attention

while in the shop have him replace the VST filter in the VST . check the gearcase oil for water intrusion

my 75hp version for 13 years still runs great but you need to take care of your ETEC or it will take care of your wallet .

visit
the ETEC owners group site in the category I3
........ Experts there ill guide your on any questions you have

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/?forum=136483

bownarrow16

Cadet
Thanks Crosbyman. I'll call my local dealer tomorrow. For now I'll dig around the owners group site you mentioned. Much appreciated.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
btw some dealers like mine… argued there is no VST filter in the Vapor separator … because the filter did not show up on the parts diagram yet there is one

vst filter hose nipple is brittle be careful not to snap it off and tell him to be careful ...he shoud know anyway

without a service history plugs may need to be replaced the emm report will show engine and emm time in hours they may differ widely if the key was left ON while the engine was not running….no worry it is basically a non-issue for you

Attachments

• photo308568.png
    photo308568.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 1

bownarrow16

Cadet
Thanks, Scott. Just ordered one and watched a how-to video YouTube. I'll give it a shot. Crosbyman, according the gauge, the engine has 140 hours. I'll check on the plugs. Thanks for the advice and for sharing the image.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
my 2005 has 195 hrs… impeller changed 2-3 times in 13 years

if you do it yourself the impeller key installation is qwirky a bit so follow instructions closely

it is not a regular impeller PIN it is like a half-moon key (small) and gets locked in with a "need to know how" .. manipulation

you can get a maintenance manual for your engine on line cheaply but I do not remember where I got it sorry

ask the folks on the etec site

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
my 2005 has 195 hrs… impeller changed 2-3 times in 13 years

if you do it yourself the impeller key installation is qwirky a bit so follow instructions closely

it is not a regular impeller PIN it is like a half-moon key (small) and gets locked in with a "need to know how" .. manipulation

you can get a maintenance manual for your engine on line cheaply but I do not remember where I got it sorry

ask the folks on the etec site

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks, Scott. Just ordered one and watched a how-to video YouTube. I'll give it a shot. Crosbyman, according the gauge, the engine has 140 hours. I'll check on the plugs. Thanks for the advice and for sharing the image.

Impellers last only a few years, no mater if you use the motor or not. Rubber goes off of calendar, not house of use. your impeller should have been changed 4-5 times so far considering its 14 years old.

Fed

Commander
Check the telltale outlet, rubber tube and fitting on engine for blockages before you pull it out.
Also check the inlet screens if you can see / reach them.
Not everyone changes impellers every couple of years, I've had mine for 14 years on a second hand motor so it could even be a lot older than that.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
14 years is a bit much ...one day bits and pieces will go up the water tube and all sorts of pain and worries will
prop up...

your call

bownarrow16

Cadet
The water is finally receding here in flooded East Central Tennessee. I should be able to pull the boat tomorrow and begin working this out. Thanks for all of the info gentlemen. Can't wait to get started on this thing

bownarrow16

Cadet
OK so I had the local shop service the engine. Installed a new impeller. Still having the same issue - shortly after cranking, water flows fine from the tell tale. After a minute or so however, the flow weakens significantly until it pretty much disappears altogether.

I know that the outboard was not winterized before I bought it. We had a mild winter for Tennessee, however the temp did drop to 20 degrees now and then. The boat was kept in a covered slip. The previous owner parked it in late September and left it alone. The outboard was not trimmed out of the water.

Is it possible that water froze and burst a hose maybe? Any ideas? Thanks again.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
what codes did the shop find on the emm….?
did the shop give you a copy of the log ?
did the shop not see an overheat code ? are you not getting alarms .... does the engine drop to safe mode ?????
knowing you took it in for a pumping issue didn't the shop tech make certain the issue was resolved?

you may want to post your topic on the ETEC user community forum on the I3 section … a ETEC user may have had the same issue and will clue you in to a solution .

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/?forum=136483

do a NO COOLING search …..in the search utility

Last edited:

Swampmouse2

Seaman
You said in your OP that maybe a dirt dobber got in there...did you check for that? I had that happen on my Johnson 115 one time and it was not peeing right. It was so simple that it took me a while to find it because i was looking for something a lot harder...worth a look. It probably isn't given that the water stops...but worth a look. what happens if you put her into gear and give a little gas? Does the water start flowing? (if not don't do that for very long!!)

SM