V4 crossflow engine block compatibility question

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Would a 1988 110 HP engine block be an exact replacement for 1990 V4 crossflow block? Someone very recently is selling a machined block (3 holes 0.02, 1 hole required 0.04 oversize) for $150 within reasonable driving distance. I would be more inclined to buy it except the 0.04 hole. Would it be best to just use what I already have if the worst it needs is 0.02 or buy the already machined one and replace the essentials? I am planning an engine disassembly in about a month or so to free up stuck rings on starboard cylinders and have very light piston ring scoring I'm top starboard cylinder at 12:00 position. If I have to spend around 400 dollars in machine work and shipping to remove typical wear of a motor never oversized, is that better than having one ready to go for 150 but has to have the 0.04 hole resleeved if out of spec?

havoc_squad

If the forums gets the issues fixed soon, I'll try to clean up the lack of spacing. Otherwise, if it becomes too late for me to edit, I would appreciate if a moderator could edit it to make it readable. Jumbled posts drive me nuts reading.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Essentially the same block.-----Except if the 1990 model is a 90 HP.-----Those had smaller intake ports than the 110 HP models

havoc_squad

Guess I got painted into a corner with the 90 hp limit on my aluminum boat. Seems a bit low for a fish & ski 17 ft hull. I take it larger intake on block, bubble back exhaust, and larger jets equates to 110/115 motors. Everything else is the same. Oh well, hopefully disassembly doesn't reveal any major suprises.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Porting(transfer holes in cylinder wall are different), that was what Racer was referring to. Carbs(not just Jets) would be different too,

havoc_squad

Yeah, I'm aware it's the intake ports on the cylinder and not the intake housing where the carbs are fitted. The size of the hole regulates the allowed fuel/air mix volume to enter before the compression stage. They tweak the HP of the motor using this and a few other items to minimize design changes across multiple HP offerings.