some basic pointers, greatly appreciated. 15 HP Evinrude 2-stroke

San Diego101

Recruit
Recently picked up a small aluminum skiff with a (mid - 80's?) 15 HP 2 stroke evinrude after my boy showed an interest in fishing. We mostly chase yellowtail off La Jolla (& mostly catch bonito, but that's ok - still heaps of fun!). After a dozen trips last fall, the engine cuts out at higher RPMs. It runs at low RPM's fine. I've changed the fuel filter and spark plugs and nothing obvious with the fuel line, bulb. If I pull off the fuel hose to the engine and run it does same. So, I'm thinking the problem is inside the motor, somewhere (clogged carb, some internal filter?) Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot, would be greatly appreciated! Also, before purchasing, I had the engine inspected by an evinrude approved boatshop mechanic, who said it was fine (for it's age), apart from motor mount wear. For my purposes, he suggested just running it until it needs repairs and then look at replacing (which was ok by me - the boat is a little newer and was worth the cost. But I'd sure like to get some more seasons out of the engine.) I'm completely new to boating & outboards. Altho somewhat familiar with small engine from tinkering on 2 & 4-stroke engines as a kid. I'd sure appreciate any advice or thoughts on the above, as well as what I should be doing for normal maintenance on a regular basis.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Does it suddenly cut out when you open the throttle or die more slowly? If the former I'd be looking for an ignition fault. A break or short in the wiring to the magneto perhaps ? If the latter I'd be looking for a fuel flow or carb problem Routine maintenance is detailed in the owners manual ( Available from Outboardbooks.com ) but essentially plugs (Champion QL77JC4, 0.030" gap now recommeded) , fuel filter, lubrication .(Grease nipples, linkages and all other external parts that move. Oil or grease as appropriate. ) and gear oil change. Water pump impeller from time to time too You will find a workshop manual that covers your engine at http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/library.html# BTW the correct fuel mix is 50:1 even if there are decals that say 100:1 look up the exact year from the model number here http://shop.evinrude.com/media/document/ModelNumberReference.pdf

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Sorry about lack of formatting. Somethings gone haywire with the forum

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Replacing the upper mounts requires removal of the power head.-----Could be a chore on a saltwater motor.----And they are quite proud of those mounts as they are big $ iitems.

San Diego101

Recruit
@ Vic S. Rear Admiral: Thanks for the note & info. It dies slowly & not always at the same rpm level. This is what I was looking for - found, printed & have been perusing that operator guide & Leeroy's info that you turned me on to. Thanks again!
@racerone: I think replacing motor mounts is beyond me without someone on hand. I'm hoping to get a couple of seasons more out of her & just run it till they go, then buy new motor. Boat mechanic said it was in the 400-500 range, all - in.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Have a read of the sticky at the top of this page,
" Secret Files" or similar l think it's called

thatone123

Banned
No reason to buy a "new" outboards as the one you have is about the most reliable ever made. I use them and can afford any outboard I want. I have seen them running against all logic and reason because of no maintenance or upkeep of any kind and so filthy it looks like a homeless camp in LA. Carb problems are par for the course in any carb outboard and usually some judicious cleaning gets them going again. Those outboards are modern classics and hard to beat by any old or new. Lightest power to weight ratio for a 15 of any brand past circa 1974. Made from 1974 to the 2000's very long production run almost unheard of.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You took your motor to an Evinrude shop ?----------Did you post a complete video of your motor on here so that issue could be spotted ?-----I would say many folks on here would spot that in an instant if the motor was in front of them with " hands on " inspection.