1984 6 hp Evinrude outboard - need to keep priming ball

Danyboy1966

Recruit
I have an outboard that I need to keep priming ball while in operation or it stalls. I replaced hose and keep tank pressurized. Any advice on self repair? Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The tank should be vented !-----Perhaps take the fuel pump apart to inspect diaphragm

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
If you engine continues to wok if you pump the bulb you likely have a bad pump which you are simply replacing by pumping manually externally . you can have a fuel restriction in the carb so a carb overall is in order if not done . a good carb clean does not always require parts clean all passages with carb cleaner and blow dry all passages . DO NOT USE carb cleaner on the float !! an air leak at the connector should produce a fuel leak when you prime the bulb if so it needs fixing you can try to refurbish the pump with a kit and lots of but you buy a new one cheaply https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-...=item3af2873d49:g:FU0AAOSwaW1bpI7j:rk:11:pf:0 these chineese pumps may need a bit longer mounting bolts from the hardware store . if you decide to service your pump mark the side edges with a black felt pen or scratch the edges to line up all the parts upon reassembly. I sue a touch of crazy glue to hold the springs and mushrooms in place while re-layering the parts