1996 28spl violent shaking

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Any sign of what that magnet hit?
Id check that magnet is holding firm and then put in a new flywheel key (but if you are careful you can get away with not having one) and give her a trial. You could also put some epoxy where that magnets a bit fragile
But check that upper bearing first when flywheels back on

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look for the missing pieces of magnet.------Remove sheared key.------Refinish the 2 tapers by lapping with valve grinding compound.----Clean the tapers.-----Install a factory key.----Install that flywheel with the proper torque on the nut.-----Test run the motor.-----Report what happened on the test run.

Mthirsch14

Seaman Apprentice
The threads and nut don’t have any damage, not sure how to check the bearing. I found all the magnet pieces but I’m not sure what hit it, maybe a piece of the key? The rest of the flywheel is stuck in the shaft almost like it got welded in there. And you’re saying I use that valve grinding compound ok the slots for the key? Can I also use it to smooth this out in the picture?

Attachments

• photo308720.jpg
    photo308720.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Mthirsch14

Seaman Apprentice
The new key is on its way, I watched some videos on using the valve grinding compound on the crankshaft. Just debating on getting a new flywheel or trying this one out. I will update when I put the new key in. Thanks for the help everyone

Mthirsch14

Seaman Apprentice
Any tips on removing this old key? There isn’t a spot on it for s screwdriver to grab to try and push/pry it out. Thinking about using a dremel to notch it out

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
with a small screw drive and hammer , put screw driver on top or bottom of key and tap with hammer , should rotate out

Mthirsch14

Seaman Apprentice
UPDATE- I got a used flywheel on eBay but it rubbed the coils/stator pretty hard and wouldn’t turn freely so I ended up trying the old one with the chipped magnet pictured below. After I sheared the key and before I removed the flywheel I had spark to both cylinders. Now that I removed the original flywheel,replaced the key, and torqued it back down good I only have spark in one cylinder. Could this be a result of the chipped magnet?

Attachments

• photo308689.jpg
    photo308689.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I come up with flywheel pn 0583001 for that model number. Does that match up with either of the two you have?

Mthirsch14

Seaman Apprentice
The original flywheel is 0583001. The description for the used one said it was compatible with 0583001 but it’s marked e30tecdm. Obviously for a 30hp but I thought maybe the same flywheel was used for both engines. After receiving the flywheel I noticed the actual part number stamped on the inside is 583002 which makes sense as to why it doesn’t fit right. And the magnets are not actually separate pieces like the original, they are part of the flywheel. Hopefully he honors the 90 day return policy in the description. It was only $23 seemed too cheap and too good to be true

Attachments

• photo309323.jpg
    photo309323.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • photo309324.png
    photo309324.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The newer flywheel fits all the way back to 1980 models on 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 HP models.-----The older flywheel may not fit the newer models.------There also appears to be a difference with # of teeth on ring gear and on the starter pinion !!-----Not all buyers and sellers are aware of these details !

Mthirsch14

Seaman Apprentice
There still are good people in this world...still looking for a reasonably cheap flywheel

Attachments

• photo309328.png
    photo309328.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 0

Mthirsch14

Seaman Apprentice
It just doesn’t want to go down smooth over the stator/coils. The key is in the crankshaft as far as it will go. I would have hit the flywheel with a hammer to get it seated and I don’t want to do that because it would be rubbing hard against the stator/ coils

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I'll guess the stator isn't mounted perfectly square on the mounting posts. Each of the laminated edges has to be perfectly flush with the machined mounting surface.

[ed. pics can be deceiving, but a close up of the first pic seems to show the stator has to come in slightly counter clockwise.)

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Check the upper crankshaft bearing - push side to side on the end of the crankshaft, noting any play. Check for play in the mag plate, too. The sheared key may be a result of something else, not the cause of the issue.