1953-54 Evinrude Lightwin 3 waterpump

Nytebyte

Cadet
I picked up a old Evinrude 3 hp 3012-45363 that I believe to be a 1954? last night for a giveaway price. Would like to get it going if I can. I did a compression check and have 93-94# checked with fogging oil sprayed in it lightly. I don't like to turn the old motors over without spraying something in to lube as it had been setting for many years by the looks of it. I will replace coils and do a carb kit. Coils look bad. I would like to do the waterpump but I am not sure how to get to it and cant find much online. I restored a old 1955 Johnson and I had to pull the powerhead to remove the lower unit. Can I just remove the bolts for the lowerunit on this and pull it out or do I have to pull the powerhead to? I looked at the parts diagram for a 1955 and it doesn't look like I would but not sure and cant find anything for the 1952-1954. Thanks for any help or advice, Jim

Nytebyte

Cadet
I am thinking of using the cheaper Chinese coils at about 1/2 the price. Any thoughts on them. I would like to keep costs down on it knowing that it will have very little value when it is running except to me and other than a trip or 2 on the water it will more than likely be hanging on my garage wall. Points looked good and the waterpump looked ok to but I will change that just because. Thanks for that link to the service manual!

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
so far no issues with Chineese coils for me …... others may comment

some have complained of adjustments but I have had no problem putting them in

condensers if original may be shot…. something to consider a new ignition kit an impeller and a good carb clean should produce a nice little kicker for you and maybe grandchildren for years to come

change to nylon gaskets under the oil plugs in the gearcase

float may be shot if it looks ok (not all crumbled up) just sand it a bit. I use 2 oats of gel crazy glue to reseal them
carb kits are cheap on EBay and come with a float if you shop around …
order the proper kit !!!

careful with eyes ....lungs….. fingers …. using crazy glue vapors are terrible on the eyes & nose

other use hobbyist "aerogloss" dope varnish for miniature airplanes

those little kickers go from $0 to hundreds … it depends but they are better than a pair of oars anytime

Nytebyte

Cadet
The carb kit looks to be universal -439071 but it is the only one I found that says its for the 1952 up. There is spark now but the coils are shot so they will have to be replaced. The lower unit oil looked new in it so that must have been changed before it was stored. The fuel tank had been drained so that is nice and clean also. Should be a fun little project for me on a limited budget. The O ring on the top of the driveshaft .is that anything special or can it be replaced with a hardware store 0 ring. Thanks , Jim

lindy46

Captain
I'm working on a 1956 Ducktwin right now, and I just pulled an o-ring out of my assortment from Harbor Freight. I'm giving this one the full treatment including paint and decals. I'll never get my money out of it but I just enjoy restoring these oldies to their original glory.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
hardware store O ring should do ...grease the spline

gas tank has a mesh filter above the fuel valve …. if you have fuel issues unscrew the valve and clean with carb cleaner and reinstall loose nuts and bolts with acetone will clean the tank

the tank fuel cap has 2 VERY small holes that can be crudded shut making the tank vent useless find the 2 holes clean them out with a paperclip

follow guidelines installing the coils ! keep all wires clear of the rotating shaft wipe the points with carb cleaner or acetone with a wetted business card

if idling is bad you may need to pop the top silver dime size plug and wash out that chamber and the 3 small holes and all passages with carb cleaner ...air pressure dry everything . fuel flows UP the side fuel channel into that drip chamber used for the idle cct.

Nytebyte

Cadet
Lindy-same here. I am retired so it gives me something to do. I enjoy brining the old motors back to life if I can. Not thinking of a full restore but get it water ready. Crosby-thanks for the tips. Just getting every thing cleaned up and trying to figure out what all parts I will need to order. Spring is looking a long ways away right now at -20 so no hurry. Thanks Jim