Dual Line Fuel Tanks

scotty1031

Cadet
Hi y'all. Am a newbie
Working on 1956 Johnson Javelin w/ dual line fuel tank
Am getting fuel seepage @ the ferrule fitting on tank top itself. There are no clamps
Questions
1st: Is there a way to cut the line back to maybe fresh and reinstall them on factory ferrules?
2nd: Any Possible way to convert it to single line fuel system...without drilling hole in my motor for mechanical pump
somehow maybe use a 12v electric pump with regulator set @ 3-5psi
3rd: Where can I find a 12v starter motor for it, reasonable.
Has pull and electric start. pull it, right. lol
So I'm asking for ideas or suggetions
Scott

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
if the tank is decent- ok just fix the hose leak lots of hose clamps on the market

electric pump….Don't go that way :-(

are you missing a starter or is your starter deemed defective…(electrical or mechanical issue maybe ??)

experts will confirm but I think some of those big kickers have a compression relief valve to help starting them maybe yours does and maybe it is defective….check it out

I have a 75hp ETEC and it starts on the rope when stuck.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The compression relief wasn't introduced until 1957, on the 35 HP models. An Electric fuel pump would likely violate USCG regulations, as a leak in system could fill the bilge with gas

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lots of electric starters and ring gears available for those.------Post on the ----aomci -----website.-----No need to drill to install a pump.-----Find the correct transfer port cover and install a diaphragm pump.

scotty1031

Cadet
if the tank is decent- ok just fix the hose leak lots of hose clamps on the market

electric pump….Don't go that way :-(

are you missing a starter or is your starter deemed defective…(electrical or mechanical issue maybe ??)

experts will confirm but I think some of those big kickers have a compression relief valve to help starting them maybe yours does and maybe it is defective….check it out

I have a 75hp ETEC and it starts on the rope when stuck.

Sir, The tank is working fine. Simply a fuel leak and feel that is why it not running right.

The starter itself quit working. Unable to find a replacement, so I'll find a rebuilder. I guess

No compression relief valve

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, that hose is not hard to find.----See a BRP ( EVINRUDE ) dealer.

scotty1031

Cadet
Sorry, that hose is not hard to find.----See a BRP ( EVINRUDE ) dealer.

I'll try that again and hope I can talk to someone different. Thanks for the positive.
By the way I have the starter motor at the rebuilder, maybe a couple weeks to finish

scotty1031

Cadet
First, you can cut back the hose to get a fresh seal, I did that more than once. Depends on how old and decrepit the hose. There should be clamps on both ends.

If you need new hose...maybe this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Evi...-/162709196348

I thought about doing the cutting back of the hoses, however they seem pretty dang dry and don't flex much. There are no clamps and appear to simply be pushed on a ferrule fitting at both ends. I rebuilt the pump and sealed it with new gaskets on top of the tank.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Hose is part number 0772566, available from a dealer, or probably here.

scotty1031

Cadet
Well looking things up as suggested.
There is not a disconnect on my tank.
Only on the motor side and dual line.
The lines are a thin walled hard plastic.
No clamps, no bulb. Only a pump on top of the tank
Can't figure out how to upload a pic so you can see? cr#p

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Everything you described is normal except for the missing clamps and thin walls. Buy the correct bare hose, either OEM or Sierra. I had one of those motors with dual tanks.

Attachments

• photo308854.jpg
    photo308854.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well looking things up as suggested.
There is not a disconnect on my tank.
Only on the motor side and dual line.
The lines are a thin walled hard plastic.
No clamps, no bulb. Only a pump on top of the tank
Can't figure out how to upload a pic so you can see? cr#p

Most of us know how the pressure tanks were set up. As you described, except the twin hose was rubber, not plastic. And yep, had clamps.

scotty1031

Cadet
I apologize, No disrespect intended.
I guess I'll cut old ones off and get an ID on hoses and clamp the new ones on?
Should work on both ends right?
Really glad I reached out.

scotty1031

Cadet
Okay guys, I finally got my starter back from the rebuilder. Works good. I know you only need air, fuel, fire, compression for it to run. I have three of the four. Problem w/fuel. I pressure test tank. It builds and holds pressure, new factory filter, Has been sitting for a long while w/o being run. So I figure the carb needs cleaned and rebuilt.
Anybody know where to look for a carb rebuild kit? Gaskets, anything?
For A 1956 Johnson Javelin, 30hp
This is a hard build do to parts availability.
Help Please, Scott