25 etec fuel pump/vapor seperator ??

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 2010 model 25 hp Etec is giving me fits. I have only used it one time since last summer. Go out and put it on the garden hose and it fired right up, ran it for a few minutes and figured it was good. Got it to the lake a few days later and it fired right up, take off, and it is running fine for about 5 minutes at 3/4 throttle. Then it kinda acts like it is dying like the vent on the portable gas tank is closed- but it is open- then picks right back up and runs for another 2 minutes perfect. I stopped and let it idle for about 3 minutes and it then died. It would restart, idle rough, and die every time I put it in gear.
Got it home and have started it many times
over the last few weeks..

Sometimes, it will start right up and idle at about 1000 to 1500 rpm for 5 to 10 minutes and then die -just like it runs out of gas. I can see gas in the fuel filter, even when it acts like it ran out of gas. Most times, it will restart, idle for a few seconds and die. Next day, same thing- crank immediately and run for 5 or 10 minutes and die.. Some days it will hit, crank, sputter and never run or idle.

I called the local Evinrude dealer and explained my problem. He said he was no longer a dealer and would not work on an ETEC engine ever again coz of all the probs he has had with them !! He said he thinks it is the vapor separator and there is a long history of these failing.. I have researched the web and put a 50/1 oil to gas mix in the tank and it doesn't to have changed anything. The longest it has run is 19 minutes, it is pumping water, etc. the water coming out of the lower unit does not even feel warm ( Air temp here has been in the 40's most days I've messed with it)

Any suggestions on what to try? Or just get the $300.00 part and take it?

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And why would you put 50:1 in your fuel tank ??-----Contact BRP or find a dealer to diagnose this motor.----Not a " fix it at home " piece of fine machinery.

Last edited:

goblerblaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put a gallon of 50/1 gas in the tank coz I read a blog that said on ETEC motors that have set up for a while that some steel components in the fuel pump/separator can rust from fuel/water condensation and that a little oil in the pump sometimes makes it loosen up enough to flush out the rust and start working. SInce it doesn't work now, I'm willing to experiment.

I know where some others dealers are, but I don't want to take the motor 100 miles one way, wait a month or 6 weeks for them to work on it, pay through the nose, drive 100 miles back to get it- if I can buy the $350 part and put it on myself. I just figured some of the guys on this forum have had the same problem and could tell me if what I described usually results in a vapor separator change out.

Any more ideas from anyone???

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a forum somewhere for owners and folks interested in new technology.----Search for it on ---google.---( barnacle bill e tech ) -----I picked up a 2008 E-tech 115 HP as dealer was " not going to rebuild it "------More cost effective to buy a new motor.