1979 Johnson 6 hp 6r79e water pump impeller change question

Steelhand

Seaman
I separated the lower gear case from the mid section. I then removed the pin at the top of the drive shaft. Removed the impeller housing bolts. When I pulled up on the housing the drive shaft slipped out of the lower gear case with it.

My questions: Should the drive shaft slide out so easy? Do I just slid it back in and reassemble everything with the new parts? Is there a seal or shifting issue now that it came out?

First time with my 79 6 hp. Thanks for your time and considerations.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 79 model parts list shows that it will slide out.----Just slide it back in.-----If it has the small impeller and a plastic housing it is the original style pump.

Last edited:

Steelhand

Seaman
Thank you racer one. My "oops" moment through me off. I stopped right there. I wanted to make real sure since I was already there if something needed some attention. I only have my toddler grand kids around for advice.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
well that model has a carbon seal, plate o ring a spring and base between the powerhead and the lower housing

I hope they line up because that drive shaft is going to be a pain to put back and frankly the top o ring may be an issue to reposition

on my last 6r 74 reinstalled the gearcase and drive shaft …... then the powerhead with all the hardware in place on top of the driveshaft

Attachments

• photo308401.gif
    photo308401.gif
    16 KB · Views: 0
  • seal.PNG
    seal.PNG
    455.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: