Upper crankshaft bearing placement on 1989 15hp johnson

Medic101

Cadet
first outboard rebuild and all seems to be going well until I ran into this problem. In the outboard manual it tells you to line up upper crankshaft bearings onto the pins on the block. On the upper crankshaft bearing, there is no pin to align like on the lower ones... I see the L shaped recess with a hole (for oil?) and what appears to be a notch at the 9 o’clock position when looking at the block half when flat on the table. How should the bearing be installed? If I put the notch/hole on the bearing in this block notch, the oil recess appears to be covered up. Any suggestions on this? Should I align the bearing notch/ hole on the L shaped recess?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No ------There is a spot at the half joint where the upper bearing locates.-----Post pictures ot projection on bearing and the block so that can be pointed out to you !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What manual are you using ??-----Factory for your year motor ?----Or a generic one that has a host of information that does not apply to your motor ?

Medic101

Cadet
When you say at the half joint are you referring to the notch almost at the edge at the 9 o’clock position in the bearing slot when looking at cylinder side of the block from bottom side while sitting on the table... I would love to post the pic but I have already assembled in this notch. After thinking about it though, I got to wondering if it was wrong as it seems like it could not be right if the raised hole in the bearing is in the notch and not onthe L shaped recess. Don’t want to disassemble if this is correct but just want to be sure as I have spent a ton of money on this rebuild and don’t want to lock it up on the first go... thank you for any advice given..

Medic101

Cadet
I have a photo but the file seems to be too large to post to site.. more than happy to send by other means if necessary. I assembled the raised oil hole in bearing in this notch on the block. There was only one hole in bearing and the only hole in block was in the L shaped recess

Medic101

Cadet
Here is a picture of the block during assembly. Notice the bearing is further up on the crank (picture is upside down). The notch is just to the right of the where the bearing is in the picture. I assembled the raised hole that is on the bearing (as can also be seen in the picture) in this notch on the block. The L shaped recess with the hole in it is at the bottom in the 6'0clock down position. I will try to find a picture of the recess and hole for reference.

Medic101

Cadet
Here is another block that I found a picture of on the internet that is similar to mine. Notice the notch on one side of the crankcase and and the L Shaped recess in the upper bearing slot on the 2nd half of the crankcase. If I have this right, how sure are you? This engine is very sentimental to me as it was my deceased grandmothers and I want to ensure this motor lasts for my son. Thank you ahead of time.....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have it assembled correctly.----I have more that 2 dozen of these 9.9 / 15 HP motors / blocks.----I know what they look like.

Medic101

Cadet
Thanks... I just wanted to be sure and was hoping that I didn’t have to crack this crankcase apart again. Now on to finishing up this rebuild including the lower unit. I can’t wait to get her seaworthy so I can get my son out on the water and continue the family fishing trips out on this boat. Cheers..