VRO and premix

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
90% of the VRO horror stories are a crock of $hizzle
Agree but I have see quite a few that were VRO/OMS failures and no warnings of failure. And too much oil can damage a engine as it changes the air/fuel ratio.

tramsdell

Banned
A properly tuned engine at 50:1 does NOT foul any sparkplugs.

In my experience that is true. In fact, side note, i know a guy who runs his modern chainsaws at 32:1 and never had an issue until the latest husky autotune carb ... luckily it was crappy oil that gummed up before autotune leaned the saw to death. But no plugs fouled, ever.

in my experience air/fuel ratio has allot more to do with fouled plugs.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
In my experience that is true. In fact, side note, i know a guy who runs his modern chainsaws at 32:1 and never had an issue until the latest husky autotune carb ... luckily it was crappy oil that gummed up before autotune leaned the saw to death. But no plugs fouled, ever.

in my experience air/fuel ratio has allot more to do with fouled plugs.

If you run water cooled type oil in an air cooled saw you can be asking for trouble. Not saying thats what he did though. It is known for gumming things up in saws including spark arrestors. It also burns off by the time it gets to the plugs, which isnt a good thing as the high temps in the saw means the oil burns off faster than it should and wont lubricate as needed.
Air cooled oil in a outboard also gums outboards up due to being designed for high temperatures and loads

Interesting to read in your prior post that quality oil has fuel stabiliser in it, im pleased to learn of this

tramsdell

Banned
Interesting to read in your prior post that quality oil has fuel stabiliser in it, im pleased to learn of this

As was I
"Anti-rust formulation counteracts the damp environments often encountered in outboard applications"

i suppose stabilize wasn't the right word, but for weekend to weekend storage this is the kind of protection you need against the damage caused by moisture.

also; i was remembering the air cooled oil that does indeed have teue stabilizers mixed right in. However, i dont see ant tcw3 advertising that

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Amsoil 100:1 is crazy priced.

Here I thought the $25 a gallon I pay for XD50 buying 6 gallons at a time was expensive.

tramsdell

Banned
Truth be told i probably wont run amzoil on the regular, i picked some up a while back for a good deal. Stock is dwindling now.

tramsdell

Banned
Well, if i wasn't settled on premix before, i am now. Motor arrived without advertised tank