2000 johnson 50hp 2 stroke LU

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm needing to replace my reverse gear in my motor . I have the LU still on the motor but have trouble removing the prop-shaft, I would like to inspect the dog-clutch but cannot remove the shaft, I'm thinking the shift linkage is the culprit? can this be done without removing the LU or will I need to remove it? The model #J50PLSSM

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well , did this fail suddenly ?------Water pump work done ?-----Did somebody turn the shift rod ?---Was the wrong screw removed for oil change ?---With the propshaft bearing carrier out the reverse gear should fall out.--Reverse should not fail as it is a low load mode.-----Step # 1 for me would be to check shift rod height.

Last edited:

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has been banging in reverse under load, getting worse, cant use reverse except in idle speed without banging, I suspected the "lugs" on the gear face and dog, I removed the prop, bearing carrier and reverse gear already, and as suspected the lugs are very rounded over and can see the mating surface on the "dog" is also rounded over, so needing to replace them,